Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest dollhead1

x11 wont start

9 posts in this topic

hi, bit of a new boy to this so here goes,

had my x11 bout 4 years, and leaving a rally this morn and it turned over, no probs.

turned it off, had coffee and went back to it and nothing, no sign of life, checked fuses, all general stuff but nothing, jumped it off another bike, no probs started fine took leads off and it died. so few failed attemps and nothing, so it would start off the other bike but take leads off and it dies, so if anyone could shine a none expensive light be much appreciate it.

:welcome:

I think I'd start with a new battery. Maybe an idea to check the tightness and condition of the earth strap that runs to the engine too.

• So when you tried to start it nothing? did you get the oil pressure light & FI light illuminate when the key was turned to the ignition position and does the FI light flash when it illuminates, if it does flash the number of flashes relate to a particular fault which can be traced in the owners manual.
  • When you were trying to turn it over did the starter solenoid click? you should be able to hear it on the near side of the bike it is adjacent to the battery, simple things like are the battery cables tight, is the lead to the starter soleniod tight.
  • Is the main 30amp fuse on the starter solenoid still good?

do you hear the fuel pump prime when the ignition key is turned? doubtful of fuel starvation as engine will start/run off alternative battery

May need a bit more information from you to, but possibilities are regulator, battery, starter solenoid, starter switch, main 30amp fuse.Had you been carrying panniers to and from the rally, was the air vent on the off side under the seat covered, if so this can overhead the regulator.

First thing i thought of was the reg/rec gone knackered aswell.

Ditto

I would say the battery is shot, probably the reg/rec is to blame if all the leads are tight, however the alternator could be the culprit especially if you have been running low on oil and it has been overheating. Hondas run all the electrics through the battery ie. they wont run with the battery disconnected or a shot battery.

My vote for dead battery.

My vote for dead battery.

Yeh me to,happend to my VTR and it was the battery.

I've just had to buy a new battery for the X. Original one died, wouldn't hold any charge at all.