Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mick

Forks and oil

6 posts in this topic

Hi'

have noticed quite a few of you have changed, topped-up the oil in the forks. How can I tell when, or if my forks need doing?

Cheers,

Mick.

Depends on your mileage/riding style etc. Mick, I'd replace it every few years or every 10k miles or so... just to keep it tip top.

It's a good opportunity to try a different oil grade etc....

There's a tutorial about forks.

Cheers Eddy,

will read the tutorial and see if it's within my ability. Current mileage is about 12k

Hi Mick. I changed mine, probably th efirst time ever, at about 28000 and one was really low and black as tar, the other was milky brown, showing water had got into it. Not nice.

I got Hagon springs at 1 point stiffer to replace the old ones (one was a bit shorter than the other and had some rust - or stains at least - from the water probably) and put in 15 w oil. I really like how it feels now.

It's pretty easy to do, actually, if you have some mechanical ability and a place to get it up off the ground. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Cheers James,

will gather the new bits I need and have a go in Sept. when I'm off work for a couple of weeks. Will need new chain & sprockets then too, ( have them already )

Got to sort out some sort of ceiling beam to strap the X to.

I had a friend hold down the rear while it was on the centre stand and wrapped some rope around the top yoke, after I'd wrapped it aroudn the roof beams in my garage. That worked fine. Just needed to do it twice cause I didn't realise how much the ropes would stretch after we let the weight settle on them. Good luck!