Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest whitegloss

antifreeze

14 posts in this topic

i am going to change the antifreeze/water in the X, which anti freeze can I use.?

Just use a 50/50 solution with distilled water, use a quality anti-freeze suitable for alloy engines.

does it need to be bike specific or will car anti freeze do. If its car anti freeze are there different types i.e suitable for alloy engines

cheers;D

Just get some car stuff, you can get it pre-mixed from halfords. Read the small print on the bottle, it'll mention if suitable for alloy motors... 99% of them are these days.

I used to have anti-freeze in the bike all year round - same for the car.

is this the same with everyone else?

Aye, it has anti-corrosion properties too.

It is a bummer, Austrian white wine was always a favourite until some prats started drinking it and they had to stop putting anti-freeze in it cos it made some less robust people sick and get brain damage. Better to use it all year round, as previously said it has anti corrosives in and a luricating agent to help your water pump, using it in summer helps with heat disipation . If engine ever overheats make sure you change the coolant as it can boil off the anti-freeze content and leave a basic water solution that offers no protection.

dont forget to order 2 new sealing washers before you start the job :doh:

The coolant in mine is bright green and i've never touched it. Then again there's never been a reason to. Why should you need to change it whitegloss?:confused:

Eventually the coolant will start to break down and loose it`s properties ,Mark. I`m sure it will last more than 2 years but it`s better to be safe than sorry.

the coolant has probably been in the bike since new 6 years, only costs a few quid to change and pretty easy to boot

p.s Instead of ordering new swaling washers you can heat the old copper washers up until they are glowing red, let them cool a bit and refit them. They will be soft and create a water tight seal

sorry thats sealing washers not swaling washers-whatever they are!! ;D

If you want to have that "bright green predator blood" in your cooling system, the Polaris ATV (ready to use 50/50) coolant is just like that.