Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sevenfifty

Hot battery

15 posts in this topic

Recently bought and installed new battery Exide ETX-12-BS because my old one finally died, but today when stoped after about 1 hour ride decided to check the scottoiler oil level and lift the seat. When i touch the battery noticed that its very hot - was hard to keep hand on it :eek:

When came back at home i did measurement of the charging whit digital tool.

When idle whit lights switch on it shows 12.9-13.1V when rev at 5k shows 13.9-14V when switch off the engine shows 13.2V

I think the charging is OK,no loose conections ,but im little confused wtf is going on ?! :confused:

Is it normal the battery to be so hot ?! Any opinions ?

Whats about your bikes batterys temperature,lads ?

I used to own a XJR 1200 which boiled the battery, a new rectifier fixed the problem,maybe other members can give better advice.

Those voltages you've measured seem ok to me.

Check the security of the other ends of the battery terminals too... the earth one that goes to the frame in particular.

Could also be a faulty (new) battery I suppose. Or if it is a lead acid one, is it needing a top up of fluid?

Is it a maintenance free type battery that requires a adhesive cover removing to activate the electrolyte? these require a "gassing off" period before the permanent seal is pushed in place, if this is not completed correctly the current drain could cause a problem. Also check how long it takes to heat up. The earth point on the frame and the regulator are very good points to check as mentioned.

Yes, it is maintenance free type battery.

So today finally after my headlamp bulb have blown and after some more measurement its pretty clear that we have faulty regulator and overcharging of the battery.

Overcharging is the reason of the hot battery issue.

Im going to buy new one reg/rectifier from JAWS motorcycle.

Edited by sevenfifty

ok, here is an update of my recent problem

today when i removed the tail plastic to take a look at the reg/rec unit i found something confusing.The two white/black wires which enter into the reg/rec connector was cut! They must be connected and lead to the black wire of the reg/rec ( i think there are 5 wire which exit from the reg/rec - 2 red/white , 2 green, 1 black ). So the question is whats the purpose of two white/black thin wires which are correspondent/connected to the black wire from the reg/rec ?

Sorry for my bad english :( Hope you will understand what i want to explain

They shouldn't be cut!

yes,definitely !

btw, i see on the diagram only one white/black wire connected to black from the reg/rec . Actual on the bike there are two thin whit/black wires :confused:

I wonder whats happen in my case when i found them break ? Is this malfunction lead to all my charging problems ? :confused:

I wouldn't expect it to do it any favours!

Reconnect them and see if it cures it? It may be too late for that unit like.... but reconnect it and check the output voltages etc.

Result !!!

Wires reconnected and insulated.Output voltage checked all OK (around 14.2V at 5000 rpm) - no overcharging.Did a short trip around 50km and when check the battery it was whit NORMAL temperature - no more hot battery ! ;D

Nice one!

There's a bit of good news for a change! :D

if the air temperature is anything like it is here i would welcome underseat heating, but not at the expense of setting your bike into meltdown. There's a thing underseat heating like in a car.:)

If you require under seat heating on a bike unfortunatley you will have to look at the BMW stable they have already done it. Not really suprising its on a BM tho.

Wayne, if it's that cold i have more sense, would be BMW wouldnt it, heated cup holders next and Head up displays on the front screen.