Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kenko

Cheap DIY tyre removal and fitting

5 posts in this topic

The link shows how to mount the tire, very easy. It also has a link to a dismount thread. The dismount is harder and only works if you will be getting rid of the tire. Bottom line, you cut it off with a hacksaw and/or Dremel type tool. I guess that would be OK as long as you are very careful around the rim. Anyhow, the mounting procedure is pretty slick!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

Nice find Ken. That's a great way of doing it. Simple but effective! B)

That is way too cool! And all the years I spent doing it the hard way.... I have cut them off but the tricky part is getting the steel cable/wire that is in the part that runs along the rim to help hold it in place - you're right Ken, very tricky hear the rim.

Thats a good find just need a wheel balancer and i can do it all at home lol

Thats a good find just need a wheel balancer and i can do it all at home lol

Balancing is really very simple. Rig up some sort of A frame with a spindle that will go through the wheel easily. Allow the wheel to 'freewheel' (dont spin it)until it stops. The heavy spot is now at the bottom. Get some sticky weights of varying grammage and place on wheel directly opposite the bottom ie 12 o'clock. Experiment with the amount of weight until the tyre does not rotate any more under its own steam...job done.

This type of out of balance is referred to as Static Balance as opposed to Dynamic or Coupled.