Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fast_eddy

Number plate legalities and max DB limit of exhausts.

6 posts in this topic

How big, what letters, how much space between them? You get the idea... see the attached .pdf document below.

Or for "Guest members" see the file on our hosting site....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y3gudlyfzew/displayofnumberplates.pdf

As far as exhausts go... here's an extract from the regulations...

(d) Exhausts - on motorcycles first used on or after 1 January 1985 the silencer which forms part of the exhaust system must be either:

(i) that with which the machine was first fitted; or

(ii) clearly and indelibly marked with :-

-the relevant BS marking BS AU 193/T2, BS AU 193a, 1990/T2, BS AU 193a, 1990/T3; or

-the relevant "e" marking to show compliance with EC Directive 89/235; or the relevant "e" marking to show compliance with Chapter 9 of EC Directive 97/24; or

-the name or trade mark of the manufacturer or marked with that manufacturer's part number - relating to it.

The European Community noise limits applicable to new motorcycles first used from 1 April 1991 are:

Motorcycle Category by cm3 (Engine size in cc)

Limits in dB(A)

Up to and including 80cm3

77dB

Between 80 and 175 (incl.)cm3

79dB

Above 175cm3

82dB

Motorcycles approved to EU Directive 97/24/EC, Chapter 9 will be 2dB(A) less than the above figures.

(Note: the precise regulations for motorcycle exhausts are complex and it is recommended that they are studied closely to obtain accurate and complete details of the requirements).

Before buying any replacement parts for systems listed in this section, riders should check for the relevant marks, where applicable. These will include an "e" mark for EC Directives, an "E" mark for ECE Regulations and "BS" for British Standards.

(Note: amateur motorcycle builders may be exempt from some or all of the requirements)

Posted to address a question raised by Gizmow in his blog...

displayofnumberplates.pdf

Hi Eddy,

82dB isn't very loud - though there is no mention at what revs.

Mines real quiet at 0 revs ;) but was measured at 99dB with a full acro at 6,000 revs I think it was at Cadwell.

Cheers,

Paul.

80dB with our standard "euro-bollox" cans on! :eek:

Speaking to the MoT inspector at the last test and he was saying that it is at his discretion regarding the noise level for an exhaust, the ministry does not insist on the use of a decibel meter to give a definative pass/fail,i did look on the ministry site where the MoT test regulations are posted to confirm what he had said. Incidentally my Akra has no markings at all, but he was happy with it.

Incidentally i did post a thread relating to this and number plates following that visit, as he also told me of two guys that got pulled on the way to his garage for an MoT that week, they were ticketed for illegal plates, he was saying if they had got pulled after he had issued them an MoT the tester is in the sh*t because he has deliberatley given a pass on an illegally sized plate.

The moral is if you use the same tester every year and want to keep him on your side then don't put him in an impossible position.

There's no question that smaller plates do look better esp if your bike's got a nice arse, but then again, when your riding do you really care or even think about the plate?:)

And you are just begging to get stopped,it is the most visable way of attracting a ticket, nice arse or not, it is difficult for an officer to give you a ticket for an exhaust that does not give any indication on it, if it says "not for road use" then don't expect any favours.