Guest matt25011774

right hand side crankcase/clutch cover

9 posts in this topic

as you sit on the bike the engine casing on the right hand side the one with the oil filler cap.i need to change this for an new one i have recently purchased has anyone done this before,do i have to drain the bike of itsd oil first do i need to buy a new gasket and like the oil filter rub oil along it?is there a specific way?

I changed the clutch cover on my bike last year. Can't honestly remember if I drained the oil, or just left it parked it on sidestand so oil stayed on opposite side of engine. I would advise a new gasket though. Just make sure the old one is completely removed with no crud left on it, & fit the new one. Do it dry, you don't need to rub any oil round it. Good luck. If I can do it, anyone can! :confused:

In addition... look at this.

86efcfda37464becc11d5c03184788bf2g.jpg

I would definately replace the gasket for a new one matt. It'll only piss you off if it starts to leak oil after fiting the new cover.;)

I just did my covers Matt , if you do it on the mainstand it will be fine only a few drips of oil from the cover will run out. You will need a new gasket as it is likely to tear when the case is removed , Remove the dip stick first.

Dont oil it put it on dry and as Eddy has shown a smear if sealant on the crankcase split line.

thankyou to all especially you ed that graph is like great,just one more question engine sealant?or gasket sealant any recomendations?

are you all sure i dont have to drain the engine oil?i can just put it on the centre stand and take the cover off ?

Yes Mat I recently did all my covers with the bike on an Abba stand, just lost a mere teaspoon full of oil , I also did not put any sealant on the split line and its been fine.

thanks guys ill let you know how it goes