Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest casper

ignition switch

8 posts in this topic

hello all, The ignition barrel on my bike has become damaged,had a trip to local dealer and been quoted 196 pounds for barrel and 2 keys,have seen a barrel for blackbird on ebay,could any one tell me if it will fit according to dealer its a different part number,so may not be compatable with x11 electrics but he could not say for sure if it would work would appreciate any help thanks

Your keys are matched to the ECU, so replacing the ignition barrel and supplying two new keys also means programming two new keys to the ECU. How is the barrel damaged? The HISS receiver is bolted to the bracket that holds the ignition switch with security bolts this is standard Honda Part, when the key is inserted into the barrel the transponder chip in the key is recognised by the HISS reciever and allows the ignition circuit to go live, if the inserted key is not recognised you will not get a signal to the ignition circuit or the fuel pump, so swapping the barrel alone is no good.There are ways around it, but they will probably invalidate your insurance if your bike is nicked, which is not desirable.

hi Standish thanks for reply, the inside of the barrel has had a screwdriver pushed into it wrecking the internal mechanism,can get the key in and turn it on but you really have to force it,you can start the bike ok. the hiss is not damaged.sooner or later the key will snap,so def need new barrel with keys. can get them programed to match ecu for 20 quid can you tell me if blackbird barrel will fit? thanks

Not absolutely sure, but i wouldnt be suprised as things like barrels tend to be generic parts.

Have you seen this on evilbuy , item number 160283441060

hello all, The ignition barrel on my bike has become damaged,had a trip to local dealer and been quoted 196 pounds for barrel and 2 keys,have seen a barrel for blackbird on ebay,could any one tell me if it will fit according to dealer its a different part number,so may not be compatable with x11 electrics but he could not say for sure if it would work would appreciate any help thanks

hi red 11 thanks for that. have rung the breakers,got to ring back,chap no sure if any damage to lock but thanks

If you can't get it sorted can you get to the tumbler, remove some of the levers to make the tumbler turn easy (as with a lolly stick) just like an old ford.

No one can nick your bike coz they need the key with the chip. They could release the steering lock, but they can't ride off with it. so use a disclock.

hello Wayne had lock in bits as far as it will allow, managed to straighten some of the damaged pins put it back together squirted some light chain lube down it and its alot better thanks