Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JamesCates

Plastic Burning Smell

11 posts in this topic

I began smelling something that smells like a plaxtic bag burning. I thought one had been caught on the exhaust but when I checked it, all was clear. I sniff around and can't locate the source of the smell and it doesn't happen all the time - mainly at night when I come home from work. I keep the headlight on during the day, so I don't think that's it. I fear it may be some wiring somewhere or something rubbing somewhere. Anyone have any clues?

Maybe there's some chain oil dripping or spraying on the exhaust, near the front sprocket housing.

Or maybe take the seat off, fire the bike up and check any wires in that area??

Not sure sorry James. :unsure:

Thanks Mark. I checked the oil thing but it's really a plastic smell. Under the seat is a good idea, I'll do that next time I smell it. Bike is runnign great and there isn't any hesitaiton or faltering anywhere. Strange mystery.

As a plastic bag attached itself to your exhaust somewhere???

Check the battery isn't growing and the dreaded reg/rec isn't going into melt down. Check voltage across battery with engine on about 2000rpm. Looking for somewhere around 13-14 volts. Try same test with lights on too....Steve

That sort of smell needs to be tracked down, it could be the remenants of a plastic bag tucked away on your exhaust.

I had a Z750 that smelt like that on occasion until poof and a cloud of smoke a genie would have been proud of, the main power wire(a really meaty white one) had chafed near the headstock just under the tank and made the earth live. Bye bye ignitor box, reg/rec and a whole lot of wiring. Lesson learned if you smell burning plastic or a very hot electrical smell get it checked out and put right.

Thanks all. I checked the exhaust really well and took the seat off today looking. I haven't smellt it today, so I'll see on the way home. I'm worried about the electrical wire thing, too - that's why i asked. If I could just locate where it's coming from, I'd feel a lot better.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll keep looking, paying attention - pull the tank off in teh morning to check under that (good tip).

You may ride past a bloody chemical works or summat?

Yeah, maybe but it always smells after I've stopped/parked. Not always, it only happened 3 times this week. Maybe it was a plastic bag and I didn't find it and it burned off now. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Just remembered that when we covered your bike over with the blue tarp,the next day when we removed it, do you remember that it had stuck to the hot silencers?? Could that be the cause of the smell? :lol:

Hi all. I htink we figured it out - there was some plastic stuck under the header pipe. Jen smelled it (although it's nearly gone from what it was) and said it had to be plastic bag smell. The bulb did burn out but we replaced it and all is well. I've put on about 400 miles since the smell began and no problems, so I'm writing it off as the plastic. Thanks for your input and I had fun taking everythign apart. Really. Can't wait to get into it this winter.