Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Andrew

New Rear Tyre

17 posts in this topic

Just fitted my 4th rear tyre since March, and this time fitted Continental to see if I can get better mileage.

Early days having only had fitted a few days..and so far have only covered a few hundred miles....BUT must say first impressions VERY good.

Greater grip / feedback..and lack of road noise than Bridgestone (this tyre finished after 2500 miles) that has just come off !!

Will keep you informed......photo in Gallery

Regards

Andrew

I've got Metz Z6s fitted, so far done just over 4000 and still got loads of tread left, a mate of mine had Bridgestones fitted on his R1 around the same time as my Z6s , his tyres were knackered after 2000, we ride together and I give my tyres more abuse trying to keep with him.

Hope your Contis serve you well, the last Contis I had were crap in the wet but they were not on a X11.

Just few weeks ago burned my previous Mez6 to the end (it was done) and replaced it with new Mez6.

Not bad word about them, okay, this one didnt cost me basically anything, this is because we sell these and i have to know what we sell.... Nice excuse :D

Just few weeks ago burned my previous Mez6 to the end (it was done) and replaced it with new Mez6.

Not bad word about them, okay, this one didnt cost me basically anything, this is because we sell these and i have to know what we sell.... Nice excuse :D

Well someone has to check to se if they work OK. :lol:

I still stand by Michelin Pilot Road2`s they give excellent grip in the wet too, I still have my front tyre on from last year it`s now done 11k and still has about 3mm left. I only took the back off because of going to Germany expecting to do a lot of miles and it still had 3mm left and still no flat spot it had done about 8k ish off the top of my head

I still stand by Michelin Pilot Road2`s they give excellent grip in the wet too, I still have my front tyre on from last year it`s now done 11k and still has about 3mm left. I only took the back off because of going to Germany expecting to do a lot of miles and it still had 3mm left and still no flat spot it had done about 8k ish off the top of my head

Think i'm gonna go for them next Chris. Read a lot of good reports on them. ;)

Just fitted my 4th rear tyre since March, and this time fitted Continental to see if I can get better mileage.

Early days having only had fitted a few days..and so far have only covered a few hundred miles....BUT must say first impressions VERY good.

Greater grip / feedback..and lack of road noise than Bridgestone (this tyre finished after 2500 miles) that has just come off !!

Will keep you informed......photo in Gallery

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew, what Continental have you fitted? If it's a Road Attack, I have been using these for a cople of years now without any problems in the wet or dry. Mileage has been excellent too.

I did get about 5000 miles out of a Bridgestone 010 rear a few years back. I thought that was good, but the Conti's should go beyond that.

Edited by stupotads

Christ Stu,how many miles have you done since March?

Hi Andrew, what Continental have you fitted? If it's a Road Attack, I have been using these for a cople of years now without any problems in the wet or dry. Mileage has been excellent too.

I did get about 5000 miles out of a Bridgestone 010 rear a few years back. I thought that was good, but the Conti's should go beyond that.

Ive just fitted continental motion that was recomended by a tyre fitter said good all rounder and would use them on a heavy bike xjr,cb1300,that sort of thing.

Hi all. I have a slight issue refgarding tyres: I recently put a new BT-021 on my rear (bike's, not mine) before I left for Germany. I road a good 150 - 200 miles before I began riding a bit more spirited. I noticed in the dry it was great - good feedback, grip, everything.

In the wet, though, it slipped in curves and turns quite often and a lot. A couple of times it happened on the Autobahn and was actually a bit scary.

I wasn't leaning at what I feel is especially hard or far and it was at various speeds.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with this tyre? I switched from BT-020s to get more life and like what I've read about the 021. Not so happy now, though.

I'm still planning on trying the Metzlers, as I've heard only good things in all weathers about them form everyone who has them but for now am stuck with the B'stones until they wear out.

Think i'm gonna go for them next Chris. Read a lot of good reports on them. ;)

Here's one happy Pilot Road 2 rider! I strongly recommend you to try these tires in your X11, I'm feeling very confident with these on and I ride a lot while raining and even a couple of times while snowing with these without loosing the confident feeling.

Thanks Topi. I was reading some reviews and the Michelin PR2s got the best rider reviews of all tyres with the Metzler Z6 a close 2nd. I may try for them next and see how it goes. Need to wear the stupid 021s out, first, though. Seems like such a waste of money to me.

Maybe it's me but i dont seem to have an issue with tyres, when i bought my X11 it had covered 16,000 miles acording to It's MoT certificate, it had BT020 fitted all round which were relatively new, they were fine, plenty of local mileage and two high speed European trips without any problems performing in all temperatures and road surfaces, when these were due for replacment at 24,000 miles, again mileage verified with MoT certificate i went for a pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada, these are equal to the Bridgestones in all aspects,again performing on local and european roads without fault.I don't think iam Valentino Rossi so the tyres are not stressed everytime i ride so wear is good on them Bridgestones lasting 8000 miles, replaced as a pair with life left in the front. The pirellis were bought after a post from Svillan remarking on the mileage he got out of them, they seem to hold pressure on the rims better than the BT020, but that could just be down to the fitter doing his job well, at 30,000 the Pirellis still have lots of life in them, so maybe the inline 4 doesn't chew up tyres like a Vee Twin does and possibly it has something to do with the application of the power available, but if i get 8,000 miles from them i will be able to say they lasted as long as the BT 020, which from what i hear from some so called sportsbike riders is impossible, as they go through rear tyres in 4000 miles, makes me think they either ride like loonies or the sportsbike tyres they fit are like snake oil and sold on the premiss they will give so much more grip, which is handy when most of them only ride the same roads as i do with the same limitations of traffic, maybe they should fit a sport touring tyre on the back and see if there really is a difference on everyday roads, it is almost like a gold medallion around the neck for some riders " oh yeah i only get 4,000 miles out of a rear if iam lucky" Hey wake up smell the burning rubber fella, you have more money than sense, but hey it's your wonga spend it how you like.

Got PR2 fitted, Had metz Z6, need a new back tyre soon it will be ..............wait for it the Metz, both feel good but the metz has the edge for me, the rear PR2 let go on me on a dry road when well warmed up for no reason even turned round to take a look at the road, but it wes clean & dry, mentioned it at my local Bike shop, guy there rides a ZZR 1400 & said he with PR2's his had done the same :huh:

So I'll end up with a Metz on the back & a PR2 on the front, shock horror a mixture.

Edited by wayne

:) You know how to live life on the edge Wayne !!

Let us know how the mix goes, Wayne. I#m still between the Metz and the Michelin. we'll see a few thousand miles down the road when the tyres wear enough to replace them. Or I get sick of them sooner and replace them, anyway.

Maybe it's me but i dont seem to have an issue with tyres, when i bought my X11 it had covered 16,000 miles acording to It's MoT certificate, it had BT020 fitted all round which were relatively new, they were fine, plenty of local mileage and two high speed European trips without any problems performing in all temperatures and road surfaces, when these were due for replacment at 24,000 miles, again mileage verified with MoT certificate i went for a pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada, these are equal to the Bridgestones in all aspects,again performing on local and european roads without fault.I don't think iam Valentino Rossi so the tyres are not stressed everytime i ride so wear is good on them Bridgestones lasting 8000 miles, replaced as a pair with life left in the front. The pirellis were bought after a post from Svillan remarking on the mileage he got out of them, they seem to hold pressure on the rims better than the BT020, but that could just be down to the fitter doing his job well, at 30,000 the Pirellis still have lots of life in them, so maybe the inline 4 doesn't chew up tyres like a Vee Twin does and possibly it has something to do with the application of the power available, but if i get 8,000 miles from them i will be able to say they lasted as long as the BT 020, which from what i hear from some so called sportsbike riders is impossible, as they go through rear tyres in 4000 miles, makes me think they either ride like loonies or the sportsbike tyres they fit are like snake oil and sold on the premiss they will give so much more grip, which is handy when most of them only ride the same roads as i do with the same limitations of traffic, maybe they should fit a sport touring tyre on the back and see if there really is a difference on everyday roads, it is almost like a gold medallion around the neck for some riders " oh yeah i only get 4,000 miles out of a rear if iam lucky" Hey wake up smell the burning rubber fella, you have more money than sense, but hey it's your wonga spend it how you like.

:laugh: Wise words! Your old BT020's lasted about the same as mine Pete. Next tyres i'm gonna try are the Diablo Strada's, had 3 pairs on my old cbr1000 and had brilliant results with them.