Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Jambobwana

It just needs a little tarting up..

3 posts in this topic

I love my new bike - only had it 8 days and already done nearly 400 miles. I am making the most of it before the winter forces me back into the car.

Thinking ahead of how I can make use of the bike being sat idle in a few months time, I thought I could sort out the cosmetics. Basically, the wheels and engine casing are covered in touch up paint - it looks fine from a distance but it is a bit of a bodge. The fromt of the engine is stone chipped and the plastics are pretty well scratched. The clocks have a few marks and even the frame is stone chipped.

I was thinking of taking off the tank, front mudguard, rear hugger, rear plastics and radiator cowling and getting them resprayed. This just leaves the engine - has anyone had any success in painting the engine with a rattle can? Is there a specific paint that works?

Cheers, Jim

I have used a gloss black VHT paint made by a company called Granville with decent results on engine casings and wheels, i get it locally at a bodyshop suppliers for about £12.00, never seen it anywhere else though.The original metalic colours are a silver base coat with a blue or red tinted laquer over the top, these can still be sourced but best left to someone with a bit of experience, the decals are still available but the original Honda ones are not cheap

I had good results using VHT rattle can paint on XJR1200 engine plus it will give you something to do on those dark winter nights. :lol: