Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest matt25011774

oil leak big time

25 posts in this topic

had my x11 serviced the grease monkey said he pumped the cables with oil and now its pissing out loads of the stuff all over the place when the engien is warmed up,has anyone had this doen to their bike is it a good service thing to have done and shoudl i put up with it as it will go away or is it soemthign drastic and i shoudl be worried

i had my biek serviced and as a addtional extra on his behalf he told me he had pumped oil down the cables and that i was to expect oil leaks either side!as he had pumped it right up?,anyway today i took it for a good ride and its pissign oil everywhere a scary amount its neevr ending and only pisses out when the engine is hot,do you think ive been told the truth and it will evetually sort itself out or do you think they have ****ed soemthign up in my bike? and that i shoudl be worried

Take it back to the shop and get them to check it!

i will they are shut today so ill be there tommorrow with bells on so i take it you havent heard of that then?

Where, exactly is it leaking from?

well not the sump high up underneath the petrol tank its dripping down and then running off both sides of the engine block

Well, it could be from him over oiling the cables.... or it could be the rocker cover, which they will have removed whilst servicing it.

No way to tell without seeing it... make sure there is plenty of oil in the engine and take it back, take it easy riding it.

well he did say to me he has pumped it full so im hoping he is honest they must bve burstign throught the seams tho how much oil woudl they hold?

Well, I wouldn't have thought so much that you have it pouring all over the place!

Has the engine oil level gone down at all?

havent checked ill do that now

well i ran it warm and it pissed with oil again,the oil leval is fien if somewhat a little over the medium mark,i watcthed the drip and its comign from righ under the petrol tank the rocker cover looks dry from what i can see can he really have pumped so much oil into them cables,i know its doen to promote longer cable durability and you can buy devices to pump oil in but hell thats alot

Take it back for them to sort and give an explanation as to why and what they have done!

you can't pump that much oil into the cables, it will run straight through and stop dripping in a short space of time, the throttle cables terminate below the fuel tank and they would cause oil to run either side of the block for a short time. if it leaks constant amounts when it is running, but slows down when the engine is stopped it must be from a pressurised source and not gravity fed, sugesting a gasket has not been replaced correctly or as Eddy says the rocker cover is not sitting right.

Lift the tank and have a look around,bet it's a leaky rocker cover as eddy mentioned. Was the work done by honda? if so,take it back,give em a bollockin and ask for a refund. Make sure they put new oil in as you could have lost a litre or so with it leaking. A possibility is they could have put way too much oil in the engine and it's forcing itself out of the weakest point ie rocker gasket or even worse,the head gasket. Unlikely,but possible.

it was honda johns of romford i took it back,and he said yeah its really bad its all over the rear wheel and evrything,he said it coudl be it might need a new rocker cover or it has forced its wayout of the valves,hes going to rign me to let me know the news later on im quite miffed really i went on a ride with my mate yesterday and didnt realise it untill my mate showed me my back wheel i coudl of been killed shoudl i gte my money back then?

well he rang me and this was his awnser,they were so rushed and under pressure they misplaced the rocker cover gasket!,this was the cause of the leak,now im no mechanic but that sounds major to me does that cause damge?they said they are workign to put it right now and they have jet washed it off and cleaned it,i have asked fo rmy money back but he has to ask the owner,**** me i could of been killed...and thats johns honda of romford!!!

Well, it's really shocking stuff... but all too typical nowadays. I hope you get a wedge of money back for the inconvenience and the scare!

Kinda reminds me of the last time I had a bike of mine serviced at a dealers. The mechanic gave me a bag of nuts and bolts, when I came to collect the bike, with the comment "I couldn't find where these went"... Needless to say... I only use dealers to source parts now.

well yeah ill find out if i get my money back later,what damage do you think my bikes in lucky it was full of new oil but shoudl i be concerned?

well i roocked up there expecting for the manager to sort me out but instead the sales man pleaded their case they said they hadnt refitted the rubber gasket on the rocker cover properly which caused the oil to leak out under pressurre,they fobbed me off with an apology,whatelse could i do no point in goign ape**** as that would still not get me anywhere so name and shame i think to mcn and to let you guys know dont take your x11 to johns of romford

That is no excuse, waste of time doing it through the courts as they will go through small claims and it will cost you to do that. Best bet, tell them you intend going to the bike papers with your story, potentially they have threatened your life, the lubrication of the top end on your engine. MCN and the like will love a story like that pile it on good and thick even the local paper would be interested if the story was put over in the right way, it sells papers, they shouldnt be allowed to get away with that. If they are a Honda dealer i would also tell them you intend to contact Honda UK to inform them of their poor representation by the dealer.

ive got hondas number im goign to phone them tommorrow and tell them i intend to go to mcn and local press see what happens watch this space

Unbeleivable,:mad: that's why i do all my own stuff. I just don't trust dealers with my bikes. Really poor service from honda though. They should re-inburse you all the money you paid at least. I would still complain to honda uk though.

Did you get it sorted matt? ie, did you get a refund for your hassle?:rolleyes:

no i phoned mcn and sarah carnell was her name she just phobbed me off with a erm and a aaah she didnt even reply to my email?,phoned honda and some guy called eliot said hes awaitng a response from johns of romford before he can reply back to me so im waiting untill friday and then phoning him up again,im surprised at mcn they wasnt interested at all

If they advertise with them, they won't!!