Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest szpakmarc

how to do "Balance throttle bodies"

8 posts in this topic

Could You explain me this problem in simply way? HOW?:huh:???? step by step:)

How offen shoud i do this?

Thank You for replies....

Hi Marc (I think). I just did a search on the site as i remember someone had a photo of their vaccuum guages before and after they balanced them. I couldn't find any info specifically, though. There is a manual available for Benefactors - only takes a donation by clicking the Donation site on the Homepage just below the Message window.

If the info is anywhere, it's on this site by a member or in the manual.

Yes, there are several posts on this dotted about... but the shop manual will really help.

A few tips tho....

1. Use long nosed pliers to squeeze the hoses for the "pair valves" thus blanking them off. Saves you pissing about in the way described in the manual.
  2. Use a 1//4 drive, 7mm socket on the adjusters and turn it with your fingers. Remove the socket to take a reading tho!
  3. Use a "Morgan Carb tune" if you have one available... this is a 4 column balancer.
  4. Try setting the bike to run at about 1800 rpm... I found best results there but your experience may vary.

Good luck!

Thank You Eddy and James.

I have got just manual:)

do not take the reading that you get at idle speed as the best reading, as you never ride along at that throttle opening, you do need a balance at this opening but also you need a friend to hold the throttle steady at around 2.5-3K and get a balance there as this is more realistic. I use a twin max balancer, this only does balances one cylinder at a time against the static cylinder (No3), the big advantage is that unlike a mercury gauge it can be connected and left attached whilst you ride the balance can be observed in riding conditions, with every type of throttle opening, it is time consuming but unless you have a Dyno it is the best way i have found. Unless the bike is running erratically i would normally not consider balancing is necessary, but make sure you understand what you are doing first, the engine must be completely warmed up and be carefull as you will be touching very hor engine parts.

Yes, there are several posts on this dotted about... but the shop manual will really help.

A few tips tho....

1. Use long nosed pliers to squeeze the hoses for the "pair valves" thus blanking them off. Saves you pissing about in the way described in the manual.
  2. Use a 1//4 drive, 7mm socket on the adjusters and turn it with your fingers. Remove the socket to take a reading tho!
  3. Use a "Morgan Carb tune" if you have one available... this is a 4 column balancer.
  4. Try setting the bike to run at about 1800 rpm... I found best results there but your experience may vary.

Good luck!

Eddy, do I need any adaptors for my 4 column Morgan Carb Balancer to use on the X11?

No just the ones that came with it... nasty plastic ones on mine, instead of the nice brass ones on the earlier ones, so be careful with the threads on 'em.

No just the ones that came with it... nasty plastic ones on mine, instead of the nice brass ones on the earlier ones, so be careful with the threads on 'em.

Cheers Eddy,I'll have to get some new ones can't find the old ones.