Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sevenfifty

Rear brake pads

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a question about the rear brake pads.

I`ve changed all of my brake pads ( front & rear ) about 7000km ago whit new Armstrong pads.When i decided to check their condition yesterday the front side was OK,but i was badly surprised when i`ve found the rear pads are completely worn again !!! :o

I`ve cheked the operation of the brake caliper and all three pistons works OK

Are the front pads long lasting than rear ? Is the rear brake much more loaded than the front because of the linked brakes and i have to change the rear pads more ofthen? :unsure:

Whats your opinion/experience whit the rear pads?

Thanks,

Svillen

Is your back brake dragging at all? The pistons maybe operating freely but have you checked the caliper sliding mounts? They should slide free too with a little resistance.

Hi..Something I've never really noticed...Could it be that when a front brake application is made the load is shared by 2 discs thus reducing wear in relation to the rear pads, but when the rear is applied the load is maxed onto one disc....I know that the brakes are linked but the transfer front to back and back to front is minimal. Also the rear disc is considerably smaller than the fronts and has less mechanical advantage requiring more force than its front partners. So somehow I can see how the rears wear more........but I could be wrong!!!!!!!! ..Steve

I bought my bike new 2001

I did 15,000 miles upto 2008 on one OE set of pads.

I was not what one could term a 'brake-hard' rider.

Sounds like your brakes need checking to me.

Edited by catsx11

Yep, same here. The only abnormal wear was on the LH front pads due to the caliper pivoting...