Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plastic_orange

Brake pads

7 posts in this topic

Just fitted new front EBC HH pads to my bike (10 minute job) and can't believe how sharp they are now. The only downside is that they appear to be dragging very slightly (probably just an illusion), but I have a nagging feeling that I read somewhere that pads should be specific to the X11, and not the same as a Blackbird/Varadero.

I was given the pads with the bike, so not a big deal if they are incorrect, but can someone reassure me please.

Pete

Pete i've fitted a few sets of pads to my other bike and they do tend to drag slightly before bedding in.Must be the pistons not being used to being farther in the calliper or summat (well,that's my theory). What i tend to do is pump the callipers out and grease them,then push them back in and do this 3-5 times to get them sliding smoothly.After 100 miles or so,they have allways been fine and then get better with age,so tho speak.

As for the pads being the same as bbirds,i would have thought they were as the callipers are the same and possibly the discs.;)

I've fitted loads of pads too, but just a vague recollection of someone saying X11 pads were slightly different from Blackbird ones.

Pete

Just had a look at dave silver spares and compared pads for the x11 and bbirds, the item codes are the same just one number denoting if its for left or right side calliper. That will probably be for genuine honda parts so they might be identical for both bikes after all. Out of curiosity,it would be handy to ring a honda dealer and ask one of their mechanics.;)

I'll do a few more miles and see how it is. Basically, it just seems heavier to push around with the new pads in - not actually sticking. Your info has put my mind at ease though - cheers.

If I remember, it was a bike mag article on X11's that made mention of the pads - shouldn't believe anything you read from these comics :)

Pete

Eye, best thing pete is to ride it a bit and let em settle. incidently,i allways use EBC HH pads and will probably need some for the x11 myself in a few months or so,that's why i'm curious if they are the same as the bbird.Same price at dave silvers for both bikes ?19.50 per side;)

They certainly have improved the stopping power. The old pads were original Honda (12,000 miles), and 3 out of the 4 were serviceable. The one on the outer N/S was almost on the limit, with more wear on the front than the back. I took the back ones out as well, but they were fine. Don't know why they never made the rears the same as the fronts - only a small cutout of a difference - would be easy to modify though.

Pete