Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ketansawant

Fuel Reserve Sensor...

17 posts in this topic

Hello every body...apologies if i am repeating this but believe me i searched through the forum and did not find any any useful info on this topic except one post by Maintenanceman so please excuse me....

Problem: Fuel indicator does not come on when i switch the ignition on which i believe is the check routine and it should then go off if it finds enough fuel in the tank just like the ABS test in a Car.

So i started to trouble shoot......now i did what the workshop manual asked me to do which is disconnect the connector and short the wire harness and switch the ignition, and vola the indicator came on, so if i understand this correct the manual says;

If indicator comes on after shorting but not when you put the ignition on, replace the fuel pump assembly and if it does not check for open short circuit in the wire harness.

Is that what i have to do now if i want that light working replace the entire fuel pump assembly for that one light, or has some one in this forum found another way to fix this problem.

Sorry please don't think i am blond but i rather ask a question that i dont understand than assume stuff.

Thank you all.

Edited by ketansawant

My fuel light doesn't come on with the ignition... maybe the check you mention was an sf-y thing? I know they changed the part no's for the pump on the sf-1 models.

The only true test is to see if the light comes on when you get low on fuel, syphon some out or strap a can to the back!

The only time my fuel light comes on is when I'm low on fuel :D I've just been into my garage to check to see if the fuel light comes when the ignition is turned..no it do's not,mines an SF1

My fuel light doesn't come on with the ignition... maybe the check you mention was an sf-y thing? I know they changed the part no's for the pump on the sf-1 models.

The only true test is to see if the light comes on when you get low on fuel, syphon some out or strap a can to the back!

Mate now i will be shitting bricks every time i go for a long ride, but i am glad to know that it might not be over yet and the sensor might still be in the game. Maybe i will drain the tank and see if the light comes on. Will look through the manual and see how i can drain the tank.

Thank you for your help.

The only time my fuel light comes on is when I'm low on fuel :D I've just been into my garage to check to see if the fuel light comes when the ignition is turned..no it do's not,mines an SF1

I'm glad to know there is someone else out there as well.....will drain the tank and see if the light comes on or i will be shitting bricks every time i go for a long ride.

Thank you sir.

My light doesn't come on when I put the ignition on, either. It does when it's low on fuel (which is often). I'll double check when I go home to be certain, though.

Mine only comes on when i`m low on fuel SFY model

Mine only comes on when i`m low on fuel SFY model

Yep, same here. I tend to use the trip counter, set it to zero when fueled, then I know I can go about 120 miles before fueling again.

The only light that comes on when you switch the Ignition on is the FI light this is the system and HISS check , Ive never read anywhere that the fuel light comes on when the Ignition is turned on ?.

I didn't think the x11 had this feature anyway? :unsure:

As other's have said, my fuel light only come on when the tank is low.

As other's have said, my fuel light come on ONLY when the tank is low.

Edited by Maintenanceman

As other's have said, my fuel light come on ONLY when the tank is low.

Ditto, sfy

All I attempted to empty the tank this week end by putting in a small pipe through the top and using a small manual pump thing to remove fuel and then made a mess in the garage and my daughter thought it was water and came in and started doing slides in the petrol and the Mrs nearly killed me for dropping petrol in the garage with my daughter watching it, so had to stop straight away and now will have to wait to empty the tank by just riding me bike and hopefully will see the petrol light come on. Thanks to you all I roughly know how many kms it should be before the light comes on. Will keep you posted. Thanks you all, recovering from a black eye that the Mrs. gave me :)

Ouch! Tell her she should be glad your daughter wasn't metal spikes. I htink a worse scenario always shows how good the current one is.

Ouch! Tell her she should be glad your daughter wasn't metal spikes. I htink a worse scenario always shows how good the current one is.

:)

Your fuel light should come on anything between 120 -150 miles dependant on A. riding style B.type of run ie,motorway riding/a-b roads. It is not the brightest indicator in the world.The sensor has no polarity,simply a resistor that picks up liquid or lack of liquid.The blackbird has a sender unit that works of volume so if you consider fitting aftermarket clocks this must be a consideration as many clocks have a fuel gauge set up. The X11 tank needs to be modified to accept the blackbird fuel pump/sender unit though.

Hello every body its been a long time, well the fuel low indicator works for me, was riding around all day and managed to finish off all the fuel and the light came on. Thank you all for your help.

Edited by ketansawant