Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JamesCates

Oil Leak?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all. Did a trip through Suffolk yestarday and noticed an oil smell coming from the exhaust. Checked and see oil dripping on it, on the centre and side stand, too. Checked oil drain bolt, filter, woped bottom of engine off but can't tell where it's coming from. It's not bad yet but I don't want ANY oil leaking.

Any common issues (gaskets, seals, transmision, etc.) anyone know about? I may have to take everythgin off and have a look but if I can get some ideas of where to look, I won't be groping in the dark. Thanks.

You been oiling your chain, perchance?

AH! maybe that's it. I put on a Scot oiler. maybe it's running a bit too much oil? I'll check that and hopefully that's it - I like easy. Thanks.

I have a scottoiler and have a similar problem when the weather is warm/hot. got mine set to between 1 and 2 which seems ok most of the time.

I htought I had it set at that but will have to check it again. Maybe a week of commuting makes it drip more (low speed/idle = higher vaccuum)? Thanks.

No it shouldn`t do that, the vacuum only acts as a remote switch to lift the plunger to allow the oil to pass. If you leave the unit on prime even without the engine running it will drip the oil out.

Checked it and it is dripping at about 2 per minute (3 per mintue and half). I did oil it before, thoguh, so maybe it's saturated. I'll have a closer look over the weekend - good wipe downa nd start over. seems better today, so maybe all the excess "flung" off already. Thanks for the tips and insight.

Could be a lot of old oil in the front sprocket housing. Sometimes it can get too much and drop off, right on the exhaust.

I take mine off once a year and give it a good clean out. :)

It should be the chain lubricant. Before I used Castrol and I had no problem with it I just changed for Motul (I didn't find anything else on the road) and I have the same leaking patches on my pipe. Even I wait after spraying a whole night the lubricant still flying away. Whatever: If something works just keep it! I will buy a new Castrol spray ASAP. smile.gif

Good tips again, thanks. I'll take the sprocket housing off and check/clean it. It does look like "old" oil and not clean, fresh stuff that's in the crank case. I also used a chain spray I don't know or ahve used before (form Honda dealer), so maybe that's it.