Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest stupotads

Stiff Ignition!

14 posts in this topic

Over the last couple of months, my ignition is getting harder & harder to turn on. I was wondering whether to give a squirt of WD 40 down the barrel. Anyone have any ideas or experienced the same problem? :icon_smile:

WD won't do it any harm at all, could just be a combination of the metals binding due to water ingress or just lack of lubrication. WD will drive out any moisture then give it a squirt of engine oil.

I agree with Standish , if you leave it to get worse you will end up with the key shearing off one day when your miles from home.

was having bit of trouble with mine but eddy gave it squirt of some magic tractor lube and way hay job done key going in no bother and turning great,

:D hope yours as easy

Agree, I WD-40 (or equivalent) mine regularly.. and the rear seat one too.. you can recognise an old X11 key not only by the wear but also it'll be slightly twisted along it's length... !

-D

Chain lube not to bad either,penetrates then leaves the oily film behind.

No just open the slot & direct it down the hole, wipe any mess on the curtains!

Wayne I have a nasty feeling u are referring to an old joke....

-D

Possibly,

But free off the barrels of the locks with the WD40, once free, using the tube supplied with the chain lube push open the flap of the lock with the tube squirt in the lube (gently). The chain lube will search round all the levers within the barrel nicely & last for months.

Thanks again guys. Happy Christmas.

Mine was a bit stiff too (oooer). WD40'd...slides in like a goodun.