Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sevenfifty

How do you stop the engine ?

How do you stop the engine ?   2 members have voted

1. 1. How do you stop the engine ?

• Ignition switch
    • Engine Stop switch (The Red button)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

Ignition switch or Engine Stop switch (The Red button) ?

I know,silly question, but just want to see your opinion, guys B)

Cheers,

Svillen

I use the key to turn off the engine but there again I sometimes use the red button.;D

Use the Red button at your peril... I've heard of very experienced owners forget they've done this and pull half of the bike to bits trying to fix it!

I too remember reading of an airforce officer that called for roadside assistance for his Caponord to be recovered to the nearest dealership. This turned out to be a BMW dealer, he couldnt re start his Capo and needed to be on duty. The upshot was he refused to allow the dealer to inspect the bike and simply traded it in for a BMW. The mechanics were amazed that the engine stop switch was in the OFF position when they finally examined the bike, and yes it did fire up first time.

I was at Glasson Dock one Sunday, young lady on an R6 was struggling to start the bike.

I intervened (like you do) and straight away flicked the kill switch to ON.

Bike fired up, she gave me a kiss on the cheek and promised a coffee next time she was up there.:D

Normally by the key for me, though sometimes I use the engine kill

Ive been stuck in motorway services before with a Mate who'd stopped his 1500 goldwing with the kill switch , we had all the fuses out and starting to take panels off before it was noticed that his kill switch was off , those were the days when the kill switch didn't kill the starter as well so he'd nearly flattened the battery, It was a bit of a panic as we were on the way to get a ferry to Ireland and as usual running late , however we made it just and had a laugh about it over a nice pint of the Black stuff on the ferry.

Key every time.

When I had my Speed Triple, my (then) 8 year old son was 'playing' on it. Came to go to work on the monday morning, no lights, ignition or anything - took me hours to find the kill switch had been set to off! My Suzuki TLR kill switch only kills then engine, everything else works, which is why I instantly dismissed the kill switch on the Triumph!

One older man bought a Yamaha Virago 535 from my work last summer, he had been a pain in the a**, i think that he is suffering about "buying hangover". Anyway, before Christmas he called and complained that his bike wont start (you cant eaven drive here in winter), he had tryed allright, charged the battery few times because starting had wear it dead... We went to see that bike, he had that On/Off switch OFF:doh:He allso had destroyed his oneway bearing from the starting mechanism with that useles starting episode, starter itself was okay.

serves him right for buying a Virago.

key for me

cant understand why people use the kill switch

I always use the key but then old habits die hard :rolleyes: