Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
McFly998

Replaced clutch basket and got rid of the rattle.

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. 

I've not been on the site for a long time, but I thought you might be interested to know that I replaced the clutch basket recently.

My clutch has been sounding like a washing machine with a brick in it for years - it was embarrasing how loud it was (the video below doesn't do it justice, it was terrible in person).  The "warmup procedure" never really made that much difference and I'd just hold in the clutch to silence it.  I finially thought I'd have a proper look at the clutch and try to sort it out once and for all. 

The problem turned out to be the amount of backlash on the ring gear that is on the back of the clutch basket. 

After a lot of research, I replaced it with a brand new Blackbird basket (inc. roller bearing), shipped from Japan for a fraction of the UK price.  Part number was 22100MATE00 from https://japan.webike.net/.  Total cost was £240.  This included all shipping and exchange fees, and there were no import fees to pay when it arrived.  A UK Honda supplier wanted £762 for the same part!

My clutch rattle is now a thing of the past.

Before = https://youtube.com/shorts/-I2EAFcVYpw 

After = https://youtube.com/shorts/MesAm78OsXA

As always - DYOR.

webike is quickly becoming my prefered supplier of genuine Honda parts, even with the high postage from Tokyo.  If you're ordering a few things together, or something high value, they can work out about 40-50% cheaper than Honda UK parts.  Just get the part number from Fowlers and then seach for it on webike.  Shipping takes less than a week to get here by the cheapest postage. 

Very Good Advice :thumbsup2:

Hi I've got the same parts from webike after seeing your post....were there any issues or things to be aware of on fitting, I'm going to tackle this next month when doing a full service.

Thanks 😊👍

Edited by Hondaman

You don't need to drop the oil to remove the clutch cover, but if you're servicing it anyway....

Take the ignition cover off as well.  There is a gear that you have to manipulate to get the basket off/on and it's much easier if you access the other side of the gear which behind the ignition cover.  See the video for an idea of what you're in for.  He manipulates the gear with a screwdriver without taking the ignition cover off, but I couldn't get that to work. So I did it the way the manual said to do it instead.

Get the type clutch tool I've attached a picture of.  I think all the Blackbird tools will fit, but i made sure I got one that said it was for a 2000/01 model bird (from a well known auction site).  Don't waste your time with the kind that looks like a giant pair of mole grips.

Also, just make sure the round dogs, engage into the holes, on the back of the basket when you fit it.  Or you'll not be able to tighten it up. 

Good luck for next month!

tool.JPG

Also.... Keep your clutch friction plates in order.  I think the first friction plate, and the last friction plate are different part numbers from all the other plates.  No idea why, but Mr Honda must have had a reason.

Thanks very much, that's a great help and I'm looking forward to a quiet clutch....I'll bear in mind your tips, 😀...My basket and bearing was also about £240, they're a good company webike 👍