AK1011

Inline fuel filter

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

Got a bit of rust in the tank of the X11 that I've just bought. I've only had a quick look through the fuel cap and looks mostly like surface rust from been sat unused for a few years.

I'm planning to do a proper job on the tank later on. But for now, I'm planning to fit an inline fuel filter.

Has anyone done this? got any pics? anything to be aware of?

Well, the fuel pump and filter is inside the tank already.

Going to take the tank off and give the inside as much of a rub as I can with some scotchbrite pad. 

Rinse, fresh fuel and then maybe new fuel filter.

Thats the plan, so hopefully report back soon.

So apparently, a fuel filter costs £60+!! So maybe might skip the fuel filter change for now.

Oh and getting in and cleaning is not going to happen, not enough hand access. 

Hi filters are £45 at David Silver , always try there before buying spares 

7 hours ago, blueboy said:

Hi filters are £45 at David Silver , always try there before buying spares 

Thank you!

Found one for £40 on ebay, so ended up ordering that.

I feel like I did check david silver but saw it for 60+. But yea, checking now, it shows as £45. If I hadn't already ordered the other one, I probably would've gone for oem

Edited by AK1011

I know Honda price at Lings is about £67 maybe you looked at Lings or another Honda supplier ?

There is another way to buy a cheaper fuel filter than the original one. Only thing what you have to do is change one rubber hose from fuel pump. Honestly you have 3 filters inside, - main fuel filter, return filter (optional i don't change my because looks good), and last one is "tea bag" filter. 
That K&N filter cost about 10 bucks. 

20190925_133347_c26a2e2e357cd8477dfde604b8a4f92df0a5c38d.jpg

20210730_184241.jpg

Exelent Idea and info David , probably better than the overpriced original anyway !

Aahh, wish I'd seen this earlier.

The £40 one from ebay was a straight swap. There was a lot of rust in the bottom of the bowl. Cleaned the tank with citric acid and neutralised with soda crystals mixed in water and then coated the metal in engine oil. 

There was an area at the top of the tank I wasnt able to get with the acid, but I only saw that once I cleaned the tank out of all the acid. I will get to that bit at some point in the future when I clean again and coat with epoxy as a permanent fix. 

Probably don't want to hear this now...

Replaced my pump with an eBay special - now pretty much everything was David Silver sourced genuine Honda parts / approved pattern, except the pump.  The pump itself is great, works just fine.  One day I'm punting through a town miles from home, when I lose power.  After spending the day standing around in leather under a hot sun; Discover the hose between the filter and tank exit had ruptured, causing fuel to be pumped back into the tank (so it sounds like everythings working).  Replaced it with a genuine from DS for £5.

65483796_10220030324059336_1679908962419343360_n.jpg

Damn, thats bad luck mate!

a bunch of hoses and pipes on mine do look a bit worse for wear. 

I had initially planned to get urgent stuff done quickly and get it through an MOT but now taking my time on doing some stuff.

I'm hoping to slowly find issues rather than replacing everything right now as im short on funds.

In regards to the fuel pump and pipe though, I'm glad the bits are so easy to get to. I feel like this bike has been way easier to disassemble than my hornet.