Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest henrymorgan

Rotting Radiator

4 posts in this topic

I've just removed the radiator fairing to discover that the aluminium radiator body is corroding like it's going out of fashion. This bike's only done 21,000 miles; not impressed.

Thought I would find out the cost of a replacement and the local Honda dealer's quoting 434 quid! Hopefully David Silver can do a better price but his phone's not working at the moment, for some reason.

I'll have a go at polishing out the rot, but can anyone steer me to a good radiator repair place, please?

I'm in South Wales (someone's got to live there).

Has anyone else found this problem?

I assume you just mean external corrosion where the paint has flaked off and left a blotchy white, crusty, mess?

If you've got a radiator repairers nearby, you could take it along and ask 'em if they'll dip it in their tank for you?

Or you could give it a gentle scrubbing with a brass wired brush.

Then give it a couple of coats of black spray paint and it'll look like new.

Then don't forget to take the plastics off from time to time and clean it properly!

Good luck...

I had the same on mine , I just scrubbed it a bit with a brass wire brush and repainted it

Yup, mine too after 57k or so, but only the side tanks, the matrix was ok. Wire brush and more paint... it was a bit pitted in a few places but no disaster..

br

D.