Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest matt25011774

generator cover

4 posts in this topic

has anyone taken one of these off? is it a messy job?will i need a gasket if so anyone know where to get one cheap?will i have to drain the oil to take this off?

there will be a small amount of oil inside that casing so putting the bike on it's side stand is advisable.Place suitable oil catcher under the cover (old baking tray) remove all the casing bolts, the cover is now only held in place by the gasket, seperate the cover and the gasket, this might need some persuassion if it has a sealant on the gasket. some oil will leak but not, note the generator coils are inside the cover so do not pull the casing away to aggressively. There is a cable that passes through the seam in the casing that you needs to be aware of that. Remove the coils from the casing and fit them to the new casing, fasten the cable back in place with the clip.

You should get a new gasket to replace the old one as there is a fair chance it will tear removing the cover. When replacing the gasket a thin smear of clear silicon sealant can be used as an extra precaution.

I recently removed my cover to have it powder coated. No need to drain oil, and you only lose about a spoonfull. Mine needed a bit of pursuasion to come off, but nothing major. I was surprised how much a replacement gasket was, about

David (hi ho) silver also has them, i got the cover and gasket from him last year, hence the experience of removing it. At a push if you can salvage the gasket and re use it with a silicon sealant, but i wouldnt recommend it unless absolutely pushed.