Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyH

Spark plug failure Part 2

8 posts in this topic

As posted previously,my X11 suddenly started running as rough as arsoles

a week or so ago.Investigation revealed it was running on 3 cylinders..indeed

a wet finger pressed against each of the downpipes resulted in 3 swear words and sizzled

fingers and one pipe where I could actually hold the downpipe as it was barely lukewarm..

"The plot thickens my dear Watson" !!!!

Anyway....long story short the offending plug was replaced,the bike was treated to a fresh

tank of super duper fuel and half a bottle of injector cleaner,and its been running like a missile

ever since..

What worries me a little is that according to the manual,Mr Honda says that the plugs should

be inspected at 7,000,and replaced at 14,000 miles...My plugs  have only been in for about 3000 or so,

The iridium ones that I fitted should last even longer!!Plus I have read that the internet is awash

with counterfeit Chinese copies of the Ngk items that I have used..

Makes me wonder what I fitted to my bike when I serviced it.I had planned to replace all four,

but I thought bugger it ,its a waste of money so only replaced the one.

For now,I plan to just ride the thing and see what happens..time will tell.

Edited by AndyH

To be fair Andy with Black birds and X 11 I thought you should only really use iridiums.

But like anything spark plugs can break, I always buy mine from a shop TBH or an EBay shop like M&P.

People are after savings and sellers are after shaving off a few quid, somethings going to go wrong somewhere.

Fingers crossed for you Andy,

which injector cleaner did you use?

Andy noticed that there a seller on that site who is in stoke thats does plugs and both filters for about £80 and states ngk plugs and honda filters has anyone used him?

Edited by blueboy

To be fair Andy with Black birds and X 11 I thought you should only really use iridiums.

But like anything spark plugs can break, I always buy mine from a shop TBH or an EBay shop like M&P.

People are after savings and sellers are after shaving off a few quid, somethings going to go wrong somewhere.

Sorry had a few drinks yesterday after coming home from shakedown, just read what I wrote.

What I meant was that its best to use NGK iridium's as there is a lot of crap about, 

Fingers crossed for you Andy,

which injector cleaner did you use?

I used Wynns injector cleaner from Halfords Mick..about a fiver a bottle.

John Smith the Blackbird guru says dont bother paying any extra for

bike specific stuff as its a waste of money.The instructions on the bottle

say use the entire contents to one tank of fuel.My logic being that your average

car has about a 10 gallon fuel tank so at 22 litres or so on the big X or just

under 5 gallons so half a bottle.

I must say that the high octane super duper fuel seemed to suit the bike..the motor

is running lovely..

Andy noticed that there a seller on that site who is in stoke thats does plugs and both filters for about £80 and states ngk plugs and honda filters has anyone used him?

I have noticed a couple of placed around here Brian that do those kind

of deals.Havnt used them yet..But I think that I will buy my consumables local

face to face from now on .

I think there's a lot of fake parts floating about, I even managed to buy some fake Zippo lighter flints, ffs!