x11r

They Don't Make Em Like they Used to

3 posts in this topic

Just enjoyed a trip to the 2014 X11 treffen in Germany and then on to a week in the Eifel region near the Nurburgring .

On the way back to Calais my Oil Preasure switch failed , ie not illuminating when the engine was stopped.

On my return I disconnected the wire to the switch and grounded it on the engine to ensure it was the switch, witch it was as confirmed by a meter.

After a search for the switch on Lings web site £47 , I found a few pattern ones on the bay , but as I wanted to use the bike I dug out the oil pump off my 1974 Honda 500-4 to which I discovered the switch is Identical apart from the x11 one is aluminium to the 500-4 one being steel , I replaced the X11 one with the 500-4 one and walla it worked straight away.

The 500-4 hasn't been run since 1985 , well has been in bits since then and even the oil preasure switch still works , these switches must cost pence to produce how can they justify £47.

hi a part off a bike is always alot dear than a part of a bike by the time you input packaging,storeageand postage.sure I once heard that a Z1 costed £6000 to buy but £14500 to built from parts

To be fair I have never been able to work out why motorcycle parts cost so much, car part although more massed produced can cost pennies in comparison, all the manufacturers  in the motorcycle world have very high parts prices including Triumph, things like Tyres and brake parts you can understand, funnily enough Harley Davidson parts if I remember correctly were quite cheap compared to the others.

Edited by HornetJay