HornetJay

Tank Vacum

4 posts in this topic

Has a weird problem I have never had on a bike before, I noticed when I first got the bike that its a bit of a git to get open the filler cap, but in October when I started riding the bike it wasn't that much of a problem, but still stiff, when I took the X to get a tyre puncture fixed down at the shop I mentioned it and the fella freed it up, but guess what next time I went to fill it was stiff.

Last night when to fill it was stuck harder than I could pull and fearing I would damage both lock and key I used a screwdriver to slowly and carefully prize open the tank, I was met with a fizzzzz sound which tells me that a long with the hot weather and the petrol fumes it is creating a vacum in the tank and sealing the cap so to speak.

I rekon its the breather pipe.

Is there any other issues that cause this?.

TIA.

Your tank breather pipe comes down by the R/H footrest in the gap between engine and swing arm , check it hasn't got crud in it or collapsed , I replaced mine a couple of years ago with silicone hose.

hmmm pipe looks fine, little bit aged but fine and unblocked.

If its any help in hot weather my pipe drops a bit out, a few drops.

Cant say for sure on the X11 but many fuel caps also have a tiny breather hole and this problem can happen if its blocked.

Edited by edharrison