Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwr

Fuel filter and more...

1 post in this topic

Hi,

Just to add to the store of knowledge...

My (BB engined) X started holding back at high speeds recently (where I live, it's possible to use all the performance). After a bit of playing around, I changed the following; Fuel Filter, FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and the plugs as well, just because I had the tank off... (& I cleaned the air filter of course, but it was ok).

The reason I changed the FPR is that later BB ones (which is what I used) ran 10psi more fuel pressure, which allegedly improves low end running. The fuel filter was filthy, (ok, I know for certain it's the 14 year old original...). Here is a pic of the fuel that came out of the filter after I took it off (bit blurred, only had an old water bottle to catch some);

WP_20140428_17_50_05_Pro.jpg

This made a significant difference to the bikes running, the idle speed dropped and I had to weaken it slightly on my "frig box" (don't have a power commander). But it then felt noticeably better at under 6k rpm. The top end hesitation totally vanished...

So moral: If you've got one of these bikes, maybe time to change the filter (quite easy to do, although you do have to take the pump assembly out of the tank).

Just to show what happens when you put a BB engine in an X, see below... <grin>.

635346241532463916.jpg