Guest funguseater

service schedule for X11 @ 22,000 miles

12 posts in this topic

Hi, Im about to purchase a 2002 X11 with 22,000 miles on the clock. My question is, at this mileage is it due a major service. Im not sure if it has any history at this stage.

I tried to access the service scedule on this site, but it would not allow me to get to it.

Overall, the bike I am interested in looks in really good condition with no corrosion etc so am tempted, just need to know about scedules and if I am best to go to a genuine Honda dealer in the UK, or would another dealer I trust be able to do the work ?

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum!!!! :welcome:

I'm sure there will be some very seasoned X11 owners along soon with comprehensive advice for you regarding this great bike

I can only speak of the Blackbird main service which must be pretty similiar. The service itself is pretty straightforward except for the tappets which require checking which is a bit fiddly and time consuming

I haven't heard of anyone requiring a re shim but again let's wait for the X11 proffesionals :oldfart:

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum.

Genraly the X is quite a low maintainence bike.

I'm on 24k now and I've had mine from new , All I've ever done is change the Oil reguarly , Usualy once a year as I only do 1.5 to 2.5 k per year , So motor wise just regular Oil changes , Ive never done the Shims as It sounds fine and the amount of people that have had theirs checked at the Indicated 16k service and after a £2-300 bill have reported none needed changing Is testement to the reliability of the  Blackbird/X11 engine.

What I have done however is Change the Steering Head Bearings once , Regreased the Swing arm bearings , the bearing bush on the chain side may show some signs of wear from all the torque and power being put through it but its ony one sided , you can mark this with a marker pen and replace it 180 degrees round to get a second life from it , Mine still passes the MOT like this so is not a problem.

A well looked after Chain could last 15-20k so you should have a newish one or could have a buggerd one.

If Chain and sprockets need doing the cost Varies from about £100 to £200 depending what kit you buy

Also Wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearing may be worth a check, If your not sure about them and can do the work yourselfe its a small cost to put new ones in for peace of mind.

If you say the Bike is nice and Clean im sure It will be mostly fine , some things get over looked like brake calliper bushes get a bit sticky , Fluids dont get changed as the bike is loosing it apeal to the owner , But for a few hours tinkering and fetling you will have a bike to be proud of.

Edited by x11r

Thanks for that info, very useful. The plan is to pick the bike up on Wednesday weather permitting. I have had a good look round it, the only things I noticed on her was the chain was a bit dry (about half adjustment still available so should be fine for a while), and the throttle seemed slightly stiff but the guy in the shop said he would have a look at that. I am going to listen to the engine before I part with my XT600 and cash but am confident it will be fine as I have had a honda hornet and know how good honda engines are ! And I guess it is difficult to thrash an X11.

Mods I am already thinking of are Flyscreen, hugger and powerbronze crash bobbins 

http://powerbronze.co.uk/2213496/2213398/831889/CRASH-POSTS---X-PAD---HONDA-X11-(ORIGINAL)---BLACK.item

Tyres are nearly new. Not checked brakes yet !

Also have been looking at the 24000 service and theres no mention that I can see for the swinging arm bearing ?

Here is the bike in question

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/photo/view/194672/jhRfCkqzli

Edited by funguseater

YES That is the correct colour required if you are to own an X11 :x11_blue:  :biggrin3d:

YES That is the correct colour required if you are to own an X11 :x11_blue:  :biggrin3d:

:niceone2: My old Hornet 600 was Candy Tahitian Blue, is it the same paint (this is same year as my hornet) ?

Yes 2001 to 2004 Honda used the PB215C  Candy tahitian blue across the range I am unsure if it has been used post 2004 :dontknow:

Both my Blackbird and X11 are identical paint codes.

For the Blackbird 1999 to 2000 models used a lighter Candy blue I think it was PB284C from memory. I don't know if this blue was used on the earlier X11 though.

She Looks as good as any X11's you will see considering the age , Ive seen worse 5 years ago , looks like a good buy.

There is no mention of the swing arm bearing any where but they do need maintainence , just something for you to be aware of.

Edited by x11r

Also for the cost I would stick a fender extenda on it,there a nice carbon fibre one on that site and if you thinking of a rack read artices about sub-frame before fitting.It looks a very tody bike .good luck with it.Bry :niceone2:

thanks guys, i will get some more pics of her after i have picked her up after wednesday. Fender extenda good idea will do that. First job will be to change oil (castrol power 1 semi) and filter  :niceone2:

I'm looking forward to doing some fettling ready for spring

I'd also change the plugs and air filter. Have fun but be aware of the crap turning circle at low speed.

Thanks for that info, very useful. The plan is to pick the bike up on Wednesday weather permitting. I have had a good look round it, the only things I noticed on her was the chain was a bit dry (about half adjustment still available so should be fine for a while), and the throttle seemed slightly stiff but the guy in the shop said he would have a look at that. I am going to listen to the engine before I part with my XT600 and cash but am confident it will be fine as I have had a honda hornet and know how good honda engines are ! And I guess it is difficult to thrash an X11.

Mods I am already thinking of are Flyscreen, hugger and powerbronze crash bobbins 

http://powerbronze.co.uk/2213496/2213398/831889/CRASH-POSTS---X-PAD---HONDA-X11-(ORIGINAL)---BLACK.item

Tyres are nearly new. Not checked brakes yet !

Also have been looking at the 24000 service and theres no mention that I can see for the swinging arm bearing ?

Here is the bike in question

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/photo/view/194672/jhRfC

Nice looking bike Martin, hope it's as good as it looks for you.