Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mcfly998

Which socket set to go for?

10 posts in this topic

After treating myself to a roller cabinet, stepup chest and a top chest, I now want to upgrade my old 1/2" socket set (the 1/4" may be next). They've done me for over 20 years but they're straight edged 6 point sockets and I want some that take the torque away from the bolt edges.

I'm thinking of:

Britool, 22 piece socket set, 1/2" ratchet (steel), and 6 point, flank drive sockets = £53

OR

Teng, 21 piece socket set, 1/2" ratchet (reinforced fibre), and 6 point, flank drive sockets = £89

Or do recommend another brand? upto £100 so not Snap-on.

Hi I see that Halfords are doing they pro range at between 33 to 50 % off.I never had any myself but a friend who likes good tools says that they are good value.Also it may be worthwide keeping a eye on aldi as I got a 1/4" drive stanley set last year for about £9 .as for britool and teng I myself have britool spanners I used at work everyday for the last 40 year with no problems (god I feel old)Bry

I've a fair bit of the Halfords Pro stuff, it's pretty good too. The very latest isn't as good tho... so it's worth having a dig through their stock for something dusty!

I have been using this for about 5 years and cannot fault it ....Halfords Advanced Professional 150 piece Socket and Ratchet Spanner Set... all this for £99.99

Take a look at this set , Ive been using Kennedy profesional tools along side Snap On tools for years and the metal they use compares very closely to Snap On.

But on the other hand you cant go wrong with Halfords Profesional as the other lads have suggested.

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5827991K

Plus you get a lifetime guarantee with Halfords Professional tools...........................................

Have always prefered Britool but, like Ken pointed out, a lifetime guarantee at about half the price needs to be looked at.

Yes as I said I have had some Britool spanners 30 years + but today I looked at a 13mm comb.spanner that was knacked after about 2years and found it was a britool so maybe they subing some tools out ps I don't use pipes to force them so its normal wear and tear.

I don't use pipes either..........a lump hammer is definitely not pipe shaped :twisted: LOL

you can take a man out of yorkshire but you can take yorkshire out of a man LOL :neener: