Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest phpbiker

Lost Charging System...

7 posts in this topic

Suddenly bike wouldn't start after a stop after a long night drive.

Managed to bump it down a hill kept lights on minimum and rode straight home.

Charging system brightening lights very slightly.

Reg/Rect warm but not hot, main fuse obviously not blown.

Running recent 2W 330ohm Resistor as O2 sensor bypass. FI light goes out and bike starts on charged battery.

Haven't been able to get meter reading yet due to battery being dead when I arrived home.

Hoping not anything to do with cold start rattle which is now minimally intrusive thanks to bird stainless headers!..

I'm thinking I've lost one or more generator AC phases. As Reg Rectifier hasn't blown fuse?

Or Regulator as failed and is pulling back too much....

What's most common on these? Mine is 2001 ..

Same thing happened to me last summer, it was faulty regulator.

Ahaa... sounds cool ..

Know someone with a spare .. so could be good .. will check windings as soon as I have enough charge to start the bike

Got the exact part from Jaws for £80 ..

Should arrive tomorrow.

All fixed .. got one with long wires .. re routed the reg rect output and just managed to make the alternator input lead stretch to the alternator plug .. not too tight either.

Job done .. all lights brighten ..and as they haven't all exploded and it taken out the ECU over the last 30 minutes, I presume ...ITS FIXED :-)

Hi Jake mine also went last year and I got one off John at Jaws,yes it seems a good bit of kit but 1 thing I did was fit a ali plate between the base of the unit and the sub frame,simply by drilling thru the plate using the old unit as guide.then put some heat transfer paste on both and fasten down.this will act as a heat sink and the new unit should last longer .Bry