Mick

Bike won't start

36 posts in this topic

Hi all,

went to start the X today and--nothing. Same with spare key. HISS light doesn't light, other 3 do, (neutral, FI and oil pressure) and just stay on. Electric start is dead too. All fuses checked and seem OK. Battery is fine, all other ancillaries work, lights, horn, indicators etc. Any ideas??

Mick.

Kill switch off?

What's the voltage on the battery?

Check all the connectors for furry deposits, starting in the headlight bowl. Then those shitty wires at the ECM in the tail.

There's a blown 10 amp fuse?

You've an open circuit in the Black/brown wire, which is the power line to the HISS unit.

You've an open circuit in the Black/white wire, which is the power line to the ECM unit

You've an open circuit in the Green wire, which is the earth line to the ECM unit

Cheers Eddy. Kill switch is on, battery fine 12.2, all fuses ok, will work my way through the other suggestions. Typical though, lots of sunshine, perfect day for a blast, probably rain for the rest of the week.

Dude - 12.2 volts on the battery is close to death - charge it straight away with an intelligent charger. 12.4 and above is generally considered ok, below this needs to have an eye kept on it.

My last one was 12.1 when I had to junk it, my brand new battery is holding 12.8 volts.

Edited by mcfly998

All wires and connectors look fine. Will put battery back on charge. Cheers.

Aye, 12.2v is a bit limp.

Did you fix it Mick?

Yep, all sorted. It was the Black/Brown wire in the black connector inside the headlight. I was following the diagnostic in the downloaded manual and luckily it was one of the first items. Thanks for the help Eddy and guys. Big relief I can tell you, horrible feeling turning the key and----nothing.

Hi, I've recently bought a 2002 X11. It's been working perfectly until today when it cut out while riding and now refuses to start.

When I turn on the ignition the FI light stays on and the fuel pump isn't buzzing up, also the key light is not illuminated. The bike turns over but won't fire, I've also tried the spare key to but still have the same problem. The battery and all fuses are good too.

Dose anyone know a way to test the HISS system or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Edited by Chalks

Done all the checks in post 2 above?

Yes, I couldn't spot anything obvious unfortunately for me.

ECU connectors in the back of the seat etc...

All of the ECU connectors are clean with no signs of any corrosion,

the black/brown wire has power to the HISS unit,
the black/white wire has power to the ECU,
and a good earth on the green wire to the ECU.

There's no spark when cranking which make me think it's a HISS fault. 

Is it common or possible for the keys to loose their codes? Or is there a DIY a test to see if they're working?

Just to add:

The key light on the clocks is not lit a any time while trying to start the bike? ? ? 

I'm ready for torching it!  :nuts:

I know you would have tried it but flick the kill switch a few times and try again happen to a pal bike years ago and still haunts him.

Yep, I tried that but no go.

There are lots of tests for the variouse systems if you become a benefactor you can download the manual ?

Stupid Question But Have YoU Cheaked The Fuse On Top Of The Starter Solenoid .

Yes, I've checked them all, still no joy  :help:

Side stand switch will kill the ignition, check that out !

But...

I have replaced last few years at my work, if i remember right:

- 3 HISS antennas, two for BlackBird one for CB1300  (check the connector for corrosion)

- 3 On-Off/Light/start switches all of them for BB`s

- 2 lock and keys (poor or cutting connections in that switch under the lock)

- Coded several keys, some were lost the code, some were new ones and i think that two of them were not code able for some reason.

Best option to my mind is that you get the manual and perform all the tests that are available in that our "bible" this way you wont "shoot new parts on your bike with shotgun"

Edited by Maintenanceman

I'm thinking it must be either be the HISS antenna or both keys have lost their codes, no doubt the main dealer diagnostic will sniff it out after a wallet rape. 

Never heard that both keys are suddenly blank.

Try Checking , Bank angle sensor , side stand switch and clutch lever switch ?

Ok Just did a bit of playing , I have CBR1000rr switch gear on mine but cant remember if the X switch gear is the same , If you switch the engine kill switch to stop the engine you can carry on using the starter but obviously its not firing , the noticable thing is that the key symbol light has gone out so this could be an indicator that you have lost power to the Ignition side of things Chalk ?

Thanks, I realised the key light is supposed come on and off with the kill switch. 

All wires and connectors look good, 

the kill switch looks ok too, when I switch it on and off there's a relay clicking under the seat so I'm thinking the switch must be working,

I've jumped the tilt switch and tested the side stand switch too, all seems to be ok.

The only thing I have found, and I don't know if it's related is the bike won't turn over on the started button if it's in gear with the clutch pulled in, the switch is ok so there must be a wiring fault going to the switch. 

I'm trying to get my hand on a wiring diagram to investigate further.

I'm beginning to regret buying the old turd.

Edited by Chalks