Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest pajmanal

a bit of help needed please, she's broken :0(

8 posts in this topic

Went to work on the bike on Friday (maybe that was the problem) she started on button as normal and ran as good as ever, she stood at work all day as she has done on many an occasion, sha started on the button to come home and ran like a dream all the way home, stopped outside the house to open the garage to put her away, went to start her up and the starter tried to turn her over for about half a second then nothing, all the dash lights went dim and nothing worked.

Checked the battery on the bike and this showed 6.4v took the battert of the bike and this now shows 12.6v

I am able to confirm the engine is not siezed as this turns over of I push the bike whilst in gear.

am i looking at a possible starter motor problem or is just the battery.

Not much of a bike mechanic myself but handy with spanners.

any help will be appreciated.

Alan

Check all of the power leads on the battery, in particular the earth lead where it bolts to the engine.

Remove it and clean it with emery paper, smear with coppaslip and re-attach.

See what that's like....

I've had batteries fail on me in mid ride.... hours of riding, stop for a smoke and it wouldn't start again! So don't discount that as a culprit, especially as it sounds like it's fooked.

Cheers

I'll check the leads tomorrow, need to get a drop test on the battery thoough before I start condemning anything else.

why would it show 6.4v on the bike and 12.6 off? whether the ignition is off or on too!! (confused)

Alan

Probably just the added resistance from the wiring... unless you've got something going open circuit somewhere. My bets on the battery being fooked tho...

AS Eddy says fooked battery,mine went the same way a month ago..

as well as testing the battery test the reg/rec. because if this is gone, it will fook any replacement battery that you may fit.

well, it was the battery, as the bike was not the main transport its taken till now to justify a new one, then I gets one from Honda for £41 :niceone:

popped it on the bike and she runs like a dream again, tested voltage she pushes 14.2 when running and the regulator kicks over fine too. all is good with the world again.

thanks for the advice guys :niceone2: