Guest Midknight

Removing an alarm, advisable?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just approaching my X11's annual service (having owned the bike since Feb this year) and I would really love to remove the awful data tool alarm that is a pain in the arse! Is this something I can get the garage to do when servicing the bike?

Bloody awesome bike, I do miss the v twin rumble of my previous Buells and Ducati's but I am addicted to the awesome acceleration ;)

I removed the one on my 1st x11... kept going off randomly, always killed the battery, hated having one on a bike anyway!

I dug into the rats nest of wires and soldered and heat shrinked the original x11 loom back together. T'was a lengthy process to do it properly, so I suppose it'd cost at a dealers, if you have one you trust to do a proper job that is.

After I'd removed the main wires, I found the culprit for most of my woes.... the fitter had placed the alarm's "accessory loop" underneath the ECU in the tail and the bullet connector, for making the loop, had gone all crusty, causing the random alerts, bugger!

I was still glad to be rid of the turd tho.... don't forget to tell your insurance bods, if they give you a discount, or that'll be fraud otherwise m'lud.

My local Honda dealer removed my Meta alarm for me when it died on me, cost was £45, not too bad I thought.