Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maintenanceman

DOT4 or DOT5 Brake fluid?

3 posts in this topic

Hmm, i am going to change my brake fluids, end of the month i am going to Kallio Racing Team racetrack day, and now is good time to do that change.

http://www.kallioracing.com/?lng=en&pinc=1

So, is there any point to put in DOT5 fluids instead of DOT4 fluids, cost is no broblem because we have both of them in our shop :laugh:

System will be flushed properly and everything will be cleaned.

Edited by Maintenanceman

I'd stick with dot 4

DOT 5 brake fluid is different from DOT 3 and DOT 4 in that it is silicone-based. DOT 5 is NOT recommended for any vehicle equipped with antilock brakes (ABS). I don't know if DOT 5 will have any effects on the rubber seals in the master cylinder, or indeed the rubber components in the linked brake system. That's why I didn't use it.

I did use DOT 5.1 in my R1 for a time. DOT 5.1 fluid contains Polyalkylene Glycol Ether the same as DOT 3 and 4 and so should be compatible with any motorcycle brake system. However, I went back to DOT 4 when I stripped the calipers over the winter (I had some on the shelf).

DOT 5 and 5.1 are supposed to be higher performance fluids, with higher boiling points and are supposed to provide longer lasting protection against corrosion for vehicles that are stored for long periods of time or are driven in wet environments.

You pays your money, and you makes your choice.