Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwr

camchain

8 posts in this topic

Coo it's a loong time since I was on this forum... must be 'cause teh X never fails!

Err has anyone got a writeup of swapping the camchain? Mine needs more than a(nother) new tensioner... :(

Thanks,

D.

Where've you been Dermot?

It'll be in the shop manual... not heard of anyone doing it myself tho.

Wow , where have you been , sure its not the balance chain needs tensioning ??

In convo with my mate who is a local well respected independent bike mechanic with 25 years on bikes.

He said he thought the cam chain was "for life" he's never done one on a 'bird at least that was..??

How many tensioners have you had?

Welcome back, Dermot. Looking at the manual, that looks like a bugger of a job. Good luck and let us kno whow it goes.

What's the mileage on it Dermot?

About 62,000 hard miles... and it's not so much where have I been as where I am, i.e. Dubai, along with the X! (I moved there). For some reason login rarely/never works from there(?), when I roam I can login!! Perhaps Dubai authorities (who do censor the internet) think X11 means something <bad>... :)

Used 2x replacement tensioners (the later BB ones) and it started rattling again like **&^% a few k after the 2nd, which is when I thought 'oh dear'..

Re: the balance shaft, no, it's not that!

Perhaps I'll have to RTFM! I was hoping someone had done it and evolved a backdoor method, avoiding any hideous things it might say in the manual (e.g. "Step 1: remove engine" etc..).

kr

D.

62,000 miles does seem quite high but i've heard of plenty Bbirds doing well over that without any camchain issues.

Maybe try changing the oil to thicker viscosity? It would be a cheap fix if it worked!

Good luck and keep us posted. ;)