Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Smudge

CB400SF - big one!

9 posts in this topic

I have been offered a 1994 Jap import CB400SF for ?600. It's covered 16k miles, although the speedo is still in KPH.

It is also currently fitted with a 33bhp restrictor kit which I would want to remove.

All the obvious things look to be OK, however it is in need of a new seat and some TLC. Would I be buying a whole heap of trouble?

Thoughts, advice muchly welcomed! Ideal for the Mrs I was thinking...

S

636_thumbattach

637_thumbattach

638_thumbattach

Edited by Smudge

Sounds like a bit of fun to tinker with... and for not such a sum of money to cause a divorce!

Make sure you can get the bits for it before jumping in tho....

Decent workhorse, should be reliable but don't envisage it being a big profit earner on a resale though. What are your plans for it? are you buying to punt on, restore, run around on?

Smudge i've rode one of these and there grrrrrreat!!!

Seriously, there a great bike and just loved to be revved hard!!:D

The restrictor kit should be easy enough to remove, it might just be in the carb tops. Taking it to any decent bike mechanic won't cost much, probably a half hour job at most.

Nice bike for the money, good luck.;)

Ta boys

Just been checking out parts and stuff, very little on the well known selling site. So need to find how much a seat or how to re-sponge the existing one.

Cylinder head cover is quite corroded on one side, there is also a bit of corrosion on a few bits of alloy and the tank has a mark on, but on the plus side it's just had new brakes, battery and chain & sprocks and oil. I don't want to dive headlong in and buy a bag of bolts just for the sake of it; however all the reviews I've read say they are bulletproof! But we have all heard that before!

Might be a nice little project though, most for sale on the web seem to be between ?895 and ?1200... What you more level headed boys reckon?

Have offered him ?500, but he will prob tell me to naff off. Will keep you posted!

It's only worth what someone will pay for it, they might be advertised at that price for sale but check what price they sell for, and if they sell at all.

Check the forks for pitting and chips.

Bit of corrosion on the engine covers is easy solved by rubbing down and repolishing or powder coating....The biggest check i would do is the exhaust, headers & collector box esp. Seat re covering is a doddle to do, i did mine on the x11. For that kind of money you could do a hell of a lot worse smudge.:)