Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tinhook

swing-arm

4 posts in this topic

:huh: how easy is it to remove the swing-arm? only mine has scratches on both sides where the previous owner had bodged fitting race cans, i never noticed when i bought the bike from taz motorcycles, i`m a sucker for shiny-bike syndrome. my stepson has told me he can repair the damage, being an engineer, and i`m thinking about having the frame & swing-arm painted black, possibly all the bike, depends on £, want to re-fit twin headlights as well. that is if i get more than 4 days work a week! :(

Its not a big problem if you can support the bike, ie main stand.

1 remove silencers.

2 remove the rear wheel & sprocket etc, then remove brake pipe retainers and tie caliper out of the way.

3 remove the gear lever and sprocket cover.

4 remove the plastic caps that cover the swing arm bolt & nut.

5 undo the two bolts that hold the rear brake master cylinder to the foot plate and remove the split pin and clevis pin from the brake pedal & unclip the brake light switch.

6 undo the swing arm pivot nut on the l/h side MM , then undo and remove the two cap heads that hold on l/h footrest plate MM Allen key.

7 undo and remove the nut on lower shock mount.

8 undo cap heads that hold on r/h footrest plate then withdraw swing arm spindle with someone supporting swing arm ,if you don't have any one to support swing arm slide a length of studding or something through from l/h side as you withdraw spindle to hold swing arm in place.

9 slide out lower shock mount bolt and then remove swing arm.

The above assumes you want to leave brake lines etc still connected.

You can also leave the foot rest plates in place but its easier to remove them.

Its not a big problem if you can support the bike, ie main stand.

1 remove silencers.

2 remove the rear wheel & sprocket etc, then remove brake pipe retainers and tie caliper out of the way.

3 remove the gear lever and sprocket cover.

4 remove the plastic caps that cover the swing arm bolt & nut.

5 undo the two bolts that hold the rear brake master cylinder to the foot plate and remove the split pin and clevis pin from the brake pedal & unclip the brake light switch.

6 undo the swing arm pivot nut on the l/h side MM , then undo and remove the two cap heads that hold on l/h footrest plate MM Allen key.

7 undo and remove the nut on lower shock mount.

8 undo cap heads that hold on r/h footrest plate then withdraw swing arm spindle with someone supporting swing arm ,if you don't have any one to support swing arm slide a length of studding or something through from l/h side as you withdraw spindle to hold swing arm in place.

9 slide out lower shock mount bolt and then remove swing arm.

The above assumes you want to leave brake lines etc still connected.

You can also leave the foot rest plates in place but its easier to remove them.

wow, thanks for the info john, i will have to pull rank & get my stepsons over to help me with the swing-arm, by help i mean bug-geroff & leave it to them! i`m going to adjust my chain tomorrow, but i`d better check the available balance on my credit card first, just in case! thanks again, its good to know theres always good advice on this site, jim.