Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest whitegloss

rear wheel bearings

9 posts in this topic

Recently had a problem which felt like the bike was in gear, however turn the wheel and it would free the sticky spot.

I have fitted a new chain (1st time doin this job, bought the tool), bloody hell what a crap job to do-might be easier the next time and have fixed the problem-seems the chain had a couple of tight spots

Was wondering how easy is it to change rear wheel bearings and how much they cost-might be a little winter project as I am getting me wheels painted (powder coat or paint?) in the near future ;D

It's not worth taking chance with chains and wheel bearings, if you don't get them right, the results can be disastrous.

Paint or powder - powder should give you a better finish, but could be more expensive. Get estimates for both from reputable people.

Theres a place by me in swansea does powdercoating ?40 per wheel. My mate had his done good job to.

Wheel bearings are easy to change and not too expensive either but i would get new dust seals too while you are doing it as you could get damaged taking them out. Word of caution for powder coating make sure you put some old bolts in your brake disk holes and fabricate a way of blocking up the axle tunnel too, there is nothing worse than grit getting in, as I found out even though place i went to assured me there would be no problem because they would do it for me.... out and out lie the t...s

Easiest way to change chain & sprockets is to remove the left can and footplate. As the rear wheel will be off anyway to do the sprocket, you can just lift the chain off intact, rivett your new one and slip it on again. Dead easy. I changed the rear wheel bearings & sprocket carrier bearing on my x a few months back aswell. Sprocket carrier bearing is dead easy to do, the wheel bearings were a bit fiddly though. basically you can't get a drift inside to knock out the bearings as the spacer inside the wheel touches the bearings inside. What i had to do was destroy one side and pull the remains out, then i could get a drift in the wheel to knock the other side out. The wheel bearing kit i got was from wemoto and you get 2 wheel bearings, 1 sprocket carrier bearing and 3 dust seals. Cost was only ?21.00 so not expensive.;)

quote:Recently had a problem which felt like the bike was in gear, however turn the wheel and it would free the sticky spot.

I put a new chain on, thought everything was fine. While the bike was on the rear paddock stand (changing spark plugs) I turned the rear wheel and agin i had the same fault. Initially thought it was the rear brake-took the pads out no change. I then loosensed the rear wheel thinking it may be the gearbox (please god no!!) or the rear wheel bearing. Anyway when I loosened the wheel and moved the adjusters forward the wheel would hardly turn at all, even when the chain was off.

It was at this moment that I realised what the problem was (bearing in mind I have bought new chain and sprockets and chain removal tool-nearly two hundred quid). IT WAS THE BLASTED PADDOCK STAND CATCHING ON THE REAR SPROCKET:eek:.

Anyway the good news is theres nowt wrong with the bloody bike-suppose its filled in time waiting for the spring-know what else doesnt need fixing mmm!!;D

We have all done daft things like that..;D

My X11 had standard end cans fitted when i bought it,i couldnt work out what the strange noise was when i rode along at low speeds. On examination i found that the rubber bumpstop that should be fitted to the end can on the near side to stop the centre stand from fouling the chain was missing. A simple fix with a nut, bolt and rubber waher cured it, could have been costly if it had ground the chain surface away. Evidently the previous owner had fitted aftermarket cans at some stage and neglected to refit the bumpstop.