Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest morayx11

Chain adjustment

10 posts in this topic

Hi Guys looking for advice my chain seems relatively new but every time (almost) I go out on return it needs adjusting I keep it well lubed with chain wax. It may just be a crap chain as I bought it from a dealer Alan Duffus and he may have replaced it with cheapest he could find? Any advice much appreciated.

Hi,

Well to be honest I'd suspect you were being a bit overcritical perhaps... I've not noticed that with the 2 chains I've got through so far...

-Perhaps u r running it a bit tight??

br

D.

DWR not meaning to be critical just realistic guys in the bike trade are trying to maximise their profit and rightly so I'd do exactly the same. I've adjusted as per the manual I've also had it adjusted at my local dealers and same happened it's not a huge deal but come to think of it it may be original as bikes only done 10k so I don't know mystery remains. Apologies to any bike traders I may have offended it was unintentional. ;D

Don't worry I only meant overcritical about either precisely how tight the chain should be or about how much it would shift after a ride... :) I don't think anyone on Forum is that easy to offend ;D

-The original chain on mine lasted over 30k, (with the previous owner), mind you he drove it 'til it broke.. :

On a 10k miles bike I wouldn't have thought there could be any issue, however one could always mention disintergrating wheel bearings and the like, but you'll notice that quite quickly if they were (very highly unlikely in this case).

According to the manual BTW, it's supposed to be 25-35mm when it's on the side stand (not main stand). You be adjusting it a bit tight perhaps??

br

D.

According to the manual BTW' date=' it's supposed to be 25-35mm when it's on the side stand (not main stand). You be adjusting it a bit tight perhaps??

[/quote']

Aye, easy to do that... I always reckon that you should adjust it with someone of a similar weight sat on the bike. Even include a pillion and luggage if going on a trip or something...

Any new chain will stretch at first but will settle down after a while... good old hypoid oil applied with an old toothbrush prolonges the life if you haven't got a snotoiler.

not wanting to scaremonger but my mate was looking for a chain and sprocket kit for his Blackbird,the super blackbird forum is advising to stay away from DID chains just now as a bad batch is on the market, so watch that special deal its maybe not that great.

Having snapped a chain on my Blade, I would strongly advise changeing them regardless after 15k. Mine looked like new, but snapped across the pin - and you can't check for that.

Pete

Thanks guys much appreciated

Just ordered a Tsubaki gold chain with Renthal sprockets from Slaters bikes (online) ?125.00 + ?7.00 postage. Same set up could have cost me another ?25.00 if had not been bothered to shop around.

owdoo all,my X`s chain needs adjusting everytime i use the thing.dunt matter if i do 20miles or 200miles.it does get used quite hard tho.had my recent chain an sproks on for about 5k miles.also it has an awfull vibration at exactly 5000rpm witch is usually cruising mway speeds of 80-85mph.cud it be a crap chain? I`m gettin sick of adjusting and checking things.the bikes dun 12500miles and gets pampered more than the wife!! driving me mad!!!