Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dandirt

knocking noise

7 posts in this topic

Just had a funny one!

When I was wheeling my bike out of the garage at the weekend I could hear a knocking noise coming from the rear wheel area. It sounded like, say, tapping a screwdiver handle on the hub and would knock about four times for one rotation of the wheel, backwards or forwards. I put the bike on the main stand and turned the wheel and the noise was still there but not nearly as pronounced.

Nothing seemed amiss, chain was adjusted correctly, everything was tight and in alignment, nothing loose. The bike has only done 9000 miles and I haven't done any work on it recently so I couldn't figure it out.

Fearing a wheel bearing on the way out, I took the rear wheel off and checked everything, but all is fine. Bearings all immaculate and smooth, including the drive hub. Cush rubbers look like brand new, sprocket hardly marked, chain well lubed and in good order - still in the green zone - just couldn't find anything. I cleaned and re-assembled and now the noise has gone !

I hate that - take it to bits and put it back without finding anything and now it's fixed !!

Any thoughts, anyone?

Dan

did you regrease your wheel bearings when you reassembled might be that they were a little dry.PS if you guys replace your bearings strip out your old ones and try your local bearing company half the price and just as good if not better.

I always use a bearing supplier - my Blade needs rear ones every 7 - 8k.

Pete

7 to 8 k :huh: what are you doing to them, they should last double that if not more or are you just being over cautious

Just had a funny one!

When I was wheeling my bike out of the garage at the weekend I could hear a knocking noise coming from the rear wheel area.

I've heard that sort of thing when the wheel is slightly out of alignment...

Early Blades eat bearings. I never pressure wash bike, and only use the best quality bearings and seals, so it is a mystery. Wheel is lined up using marks, and checked for being parallel - there is a conversion to cure this, but it's cheaper to renew bearings than buy the kit.

Pete

Have you checked your chain for a sticking link, this soemtimes makes a tapping noise particularly when not under much tension eg being pushed rather than ridden.