Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JamesCates

Exhaust Gaskets Removal Tip Needed

10 posts in this topic

This might be a stupid question but my exhaust gaskets are so tightly mashed into the head/ports, I can't get them out. Anyone have a good/easy method to do this? I fear my prying will crack the damned head!

Not done it on the X but on the other bikes I`ve done it on, Just get a fine flat ended screwdriver and scrape round the carbon until you can see the joint then gently prise from there but sometimes you need to tap the driver into the gasket then lever it out. I`m guessing that it`s an ally gasket and the mixture of salt and carbon have kind of welded it in place.

HI birthday boy all the best, it may be worth giving the gasket a good spray with WD 40 and leaving overnight then try to only work on the gasket with a driver or a pointed awl .BRY

Edited by blueboy

You could always leave the buggers in there... just put a smear of exhaust paste on when you reassemble them.

They'll soon carbon up again... don't risk it for a biscuit.

As Eddy says..

Not done it on the X but on the other bikes I`ve done it on, Just get a fine flat ended screwdriver and scrape round the carbon until you can see the joint then gently prise from there but sometimes you need to tap the driver into the gasket then lever it out. I`m guessing that it`s an ally gasket and the mixture of salt and carbon have kind of welded it in place.

That's how i've allways done it aswell, last time was on a cbr1000f, think the gaskets on that were copper. (could be wrong it's a while ago)

Thanks all - that's what I thought too (on all of it). I've done it on other bikes but seemed a lot easier. Can't leave them in now, mucked one up trying to "pop" it out. Damn. Maybe get the one out and leave the others and exhaust paste. Problem solved, at least.

Be carefull with the exhaust paste James. Everytime i've used it, it goes brittle and starts to fall apart after a while, plus the mess it makes is awfull and it's difficult to clean off if it goes on the headers or paintwork.

I would take them out and replace with new for peice of mind. ;)

James they are only hollow copper rings , they have probably gone hard due to being squashed in the head , once you can get a decent bite under them with a decent screwdriver they should just pop out , as Mark says I would give exhaust paste a miss as they will end up blowing and you will have to take it all off again

Thanks guys. I'll be prying those suckahs out this weekend - I've already got the new ones, so may as well use them!