Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fast_eddy

Dubious Regulator/Rectifiers on the x11.

38 posts in this topic

A bit too late for mine!! :(

i will use my computer fan 80mm 12v .18 w to cool that reg, as i live in a hot place, what is the right wiring connections to power the fan ? will i connect them directly to the battery?

If you do that, the fan will never go off. Best to wire it to a point that's live when the ignition is on. Let us know how you get on.

So I think my reg has gone, or possibly stator. Been on a rideout and it wouldnt start. Bumped it and it was ok, but by the time I got home the battery was almost fully discharged and the bike was failing. I'm something of a reg connosieur, having owned a Triumph Daytona for 4 years, during ewhich time it ate 6 stators and 4 reg recs. Heat causes mainly. I bunged a charger on for a few minutes, started the bike and then put a meter accross the terminals. 11.48v. Battery is on charge now, but I'm fairly convinced it's ok.

So having read this thread....

I'm pleased to know it's more likely to be the reg than the stator. If it is a heat issue, have any of you fitted a mosfet reg? I ended up fitting one to the Daytona, came off a z1000 originally. They run almost completly cold to the touch. If it's just my reg then I'll be digging it out of the loft and using it on the Honda. I never solved the stator burn out problem on the D6, but the mosfet kept me going til I broke the bike. If I do the upgrade, would a pictures thread help?

Any thing else I should know before I tackle it? The connectors between reg and stator were a weak spot on the Triumph, most people ended up soldering them together.

Supposed to be at Santa Pod tomorrow to defend my drag racing title :help:

Heres some tech info. The speed4, tt600 and daytona600 were seriously plagued by charging problems, so an answer HAD to be found. My first reg/stator/rotor combo was £900 quid from Triumph. I quickly discovered that the zx6r stator was compatible, and they go on ebay for about 30 quid. Mosfet regs come up regularly for under 50. I don't see why this can't be applied to Hondas in the same way. Mosfet regs are MUCH more reliable than the old shunt type. Id be very suprised if Eastern beaver didnt do the plug kit too, which would eliminate the need for chopping wires for the less experienced owner.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html?ModPagespeed=noscript

I do had the pleasure of the rec/reg burning out (another thread on here) After getting the Jaws replacement for the B?B and altering the wires (shortening to suit) I fitted a heat sink of a ali.10mmthick plate between the back and frame with heat sink paste between and had no more trouble .

I have played with regs a lot, previous one lasted about a year. It was some superhyperextrahighpower reg, Manufactured in USA (small text on the box said: Made in china....

Now i have "Made in Japan" reg, no problems (fingers crossed).

Usually they are all the same, if the amount of wires match you can use what ever you want, power handling is of course one thing that you have to consider.

I had to also cut the wires and connect them (properly) that i could use BB reg. 

The Mosfet worked, see attached :niceone:

Burnout

I have learned the hard way that the only effective way of keeping your new reg/rec and genny problem free is to:-

hard wire these components. (remove the plug)

Make sure your battery is healthy as a knackered battery will cause your Reg/rec a lot of pain resulting in a lotta heat

Make sure your Reg/rec is healthy as in return this will destroy your generator

And finally use rubber amalgamation tape on the wire connections.

When I say the hard way ..............check out my visit to Wales write up about a month ago! :aargh:

Dunno about that, smoke is coming out from it? :dielaughing:

Dunno about that, smoke is coming out from it? :dielaughing:

:muttley: :muttley: :muttley:

Hello mates, I have managed to put a heat sink between the sheets of reg and measured with laser, gives me over 10 degree heat!!!!!!

pics soon.

I would like to plug a fan and have it plugged into position lights.

there is a tutorial in the forum you can read?

I know that cable DJing.

Thank you.

Seriously, Mosfet regs. You will spend more cash and time trying to cool your shunt reg than you would buying a second hand mosfet from Fleabay!