Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Amigo

Odd electrical problem!

6 posts in this topic

A couple of months ago the X started flattening the battery, the know-alls in the pub said the battery was shot. One new (expensive Varta) battery later, and the problems went away - or so it seemed! The past couple of weeks, the same problem has surfaced. I put the fully charged battery on the bike & can get a couple of starts out of it before it's flat. The battery is showing around 15v with the engine running. Before I start buying a regulator/rectifier (pub know-alls again), is there anything else I should be checking?

When I press the starter the engine turns over quite slowly, unless I give it some throttle - this usually results in the FI & HISS lights briefly flicking on! As an aside - the supposed knackered battery has been sat in the garden for two months and is showing 12.85v!!

My round trip for work is about 8 miles (depending on which way I go!) and I'm too lazy to walk! The know-alls also suggest that this is the problem.

I'd be checking all of the connectors around the starting system, the earth strap in particular where it attaches to the frame.

:niceone2: Cheers Eddy, I'll give that a try at work tomorrow!

Sounds like the regulator/rectifier to me, download the workshop manual and test the unit before you buy one, but shows all the symptoms..

Bit of an update...

Fully charged battery put on, leakage test is fine (0.1mA). Didn't do the alternator charging coil bit (couldn't find the wires, and I'm at work so limited tools & time), measured the charging voltage according to manual - I'm getting 13.6v as opposed to 15.5v! Haven't done the regulator/rectifier check yet (ran out of time & tools!), but am I looking at a replacement regulator/rectifier?

Aye, it sounds a bit suspect.

Check it and the wiring first tho...