Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest vinnie165

valve clearance check ?

9 posts in this topic

hello,

what are the miles for checking the valve clearance ?

Hi Vinnie, according to my manual it's every 24000km or 16000 miles.. :)

That is what Honda tell you, talking to anyone with a Blackbird or X11 that has ever had them checked, they didnt need adjusting, 40,000 is probably more realistic, some have reported that they were still within spec at 100,000. Might be wise to keep your money in your pocket unless it runs like a pig, even then it is unlikely to be valve adjustment.

That is what Honda tell you, talking to anyone with a Blackbird or X11 that has ever had them checked, they didnt need adjusting, 40,000 is probably more realistic, some have reported that they were still within spec at 100,000. Might be wise to keep your money in your pocket unless it runs like a pig, even then it is unlikely to be valve adjustment.

I would agree, mine have never been touched on my x11, now on just over 16k. I also know BB owners with high mileage bikes and they have never needed checking aswell.

There's allways ways to do it yourself Vinnie if you really wanted too. :)

Had mine checked at 20000 miles. Well within tolerance. Now on near 28000 miles.No plans to get them checked again until about 40000 which will be a 2-3 years yet.

Out of interest, what happens if they do need doing. Symptons or damaged caused ?

Runs a little rough, unclean. Can also give some "valve clatter" and worse case (really worn and rare) it can make them stick or not open enough, reducing breathing. Sometimes a bit of "smoke" comes out of the exhaust. Won't destroy anything unless they get REALLY bad and drop out, rev too high, etc. Best to check everyonce in a while to be sure and keep it running its best.

38000 miles on mine

just got it back from mechanic today

reckoned they were perfect :)

Ok. Thanks for the reply fellas. :):)

This is a very old response, but thanks for this thread. Mine has just over 52,000km on it and still runs like a dream. Nice and smooth. I dont think mine has been check ed but my mechanic says the X11 runs smoother than his Yamaha R1 that had its clearances checked, LOL!!

Edited by devjacks