Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Smudge

Clock housing removal?

10 posts in this topic

How easy or otherwise is it to remove the dark grey part of the speedo housing. I need to replace mine as it's cracked. DSS quoted ?50 for a new one. Any help appreciated.

not a difficult job, Remove the headlamp from the bowl by removing the two fixings on either side of the bowl, disconnect the wiring loom that runs the instruments.The two fixings adjacent to the ignition switch on the steering head need to be removed and also a fixing on either side of the instrument pod that secures it to the headlamp bracket. The pod is now free. It seperates into two halves with a number of self tapping fixings on the rear half. Assembly is the reverse operation.

As Pete said it`s that easy, I found with mine the side fixings for the clocks (small allen head bolts) in headlight mounting arms didn`t need to be loosened to remove the clocks as they slide into the rubber mounting sleves.

Tis a dead easy job to do. I've had hassle with my clock surrounds lately...Bloody things keep dislodging and coming apart when going over a few bumps or uneven roads. The problem with mine is the actual speedo part (the white plastic, very expensive bit) most of the threads are gone by previous owner over tightening the screws:aargh: No way i'm gonna buy one after spending ?160+ on new surrounds. Got an idea that may just look smart....yep, gonna stitch the surrounds together with cable ties:confused: Hehehe!!!

Fill the screw holes with araldite or some other epoxy resin, whilst it is still wet fit the screws with a bit of grease/vaseline smeared on them and let the glue dry... then pull the screws out and reassemble, should cure it.

My 1st x11 was like that...

Remembering a bit more... I used slightly longer screws too, just self tappers, same diameter... as there was a bit of unused thread left at the bottom of the holes.

Cheers boys. It doesn't sound too difficult. the guy who owned the bike previous to me fitted two blue LED lights into the instrument housing and too make matters worse they are blue! I suppose I could fill the holes he drilled, but it wont look at neat as a new housing - ?56 from DSS.

mmm blue LEDs sounds subtle, he must have taken the subwoofer off before you went to have a look at it.:D

Yeah, not sure why people do things like that. The same reason people fit those dreadful coloured bolt kits I guess. You will be pleased to hear that its going to go back to standard just as soon as I pluck up courage to start dismantling. I just hate messing with electrics! It looks like i might have to bite the bullet and buy a new clock surround though as X11 spares seem very few and afar between even on a well known auction site!