Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest chrisPLF

cleaning radiator fins

6 posts in this topic

On the lower parts of the radiator i have trouble getting rid of the dirt / mud / partial roadkill ;).

I want to clean it, but i know i need to be carefull not to damage the fins. Problem is that it's pretty tough to get off!

Any tips?

Hi Chris,I've got a compressor and I blow the dirt and crap out with that,not to much pressure or you could damage the fins of the rad. :laugh:

If you don't have a compressor (I don't haveone here) you can also use those cans of compressed air used for cleaning computer equipment - I get mine at the local stanionery shop for about £3 each.

There is also a brush at Halfords for cleaning radiator fins but I've never used one.

Just use a soft toothbrush dipped in some de-greaser or hot soapy water. Simples! ;)

I took my rad off and soaked it in the bath for a couple of hours then ran it under the shower to rinse through the fins. Get a fender extender it helps to keep a lot of road crap out of the radiator

I have a strong de greaser / cleaner which I mix 50/50 with water, spray the rad & oil cooler leave for a few minutes, then with the hose pipe which has a fancy lance on the end you can alter the spray pattern on ,

(soft spray to quite hard)

Blast thru the rads to clean, work quite well, even on the hard spray it will not damage the rads.

When I put it away for the winter I also empty a small can wd40 or any other similar product into the rads to help protect them.