Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SPOOKY

5th Gear

8 posts in this topic

hI ALL does your x make a different noise in 5th gear unlike the first four gears like a whine.

Aye, I suppose it does... I'm always reminded of the film "The Dam busters" on a run! With the offbeat drone of the 4 merlin engines highly reminiscent of the x11's long legged lope... probably a bit of end float in the cams causing it... or a slightly rougher profile on the 5th gear cog.

Nothing to worry about tho.... just a bit of character!

Aside from this... whines are caused by faulty pillions or non-standard front sprockets... delete them as applicable.

Mine does it aswell. Humming along with happiness!!:D

Aye, I suppose it does... I'm always reminded of the film "The Dam busters" on a run! With the offbeat drone of the 4 merlin engines highly reminiscent of the x11's long legged lope... probably a bit of end float in the cams causing it... or a slightly rougher profile on the 5th gear cog.

Nothing to worry about tho.... just a bit of character!

Aside from this... whines are caused by faulty pillions or non-standard front sprockets... delete them as applicable.

Thought not with only 1600 on the clock. thanks

K'inell, it's not even run in!

Expect it to get louder or quieter as you go on!

In 5th mine howls like a banshee around 40 or 50mph then quietens out.

Mine did make a terrible wine in top gear, ( check previous posts), have since changed the chain and sprockets and noise vastly reduced, still there slightly but nowhere like before, am more than happy with it now...

noise used to be so bad i was considering a gearbox split, and wouldn't ride any distance, but now take it anywhere no problem .

Put an OE honda set on by the way to get the original ft sprocket with the rubber dampers fitted.

i had no problem with the original Honda sprockets they have the dampers fitted to them reducing noise levels. I fitted Renthal sprockets last time i changed my chain, they do have a higher noise level, i would liken it to the sound a land rover tyre makes as it trundles down the road. At higher speeds the noise isnt as evident, more noticable in 5th gear from 35-50mph. Stay clear of JT sprockets they are not up to the quality required.