Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest royalerp16

Transmission noise

13 posts in this topic

sad.gif

Hi Everyone,

Slowly finding my way around the web site

Still not had a decent ride on my recently aquired X11 but have an issue with transmission noise at cold start up. The racket is very pronounced, made much worse with a heavy knock when you gently blip the throttle. Pull the clutch and it all goes quiet and sweet and when the bike is warm it is OK. Took it back to the dealer under warrenty and left it with them but they say it is as it should be and nothing is wrong. I doubt Honda would agree that such a noise would be considered normal. Anyway I would rather not trade the bike and even if I convince the dealer that something is wrong I wouldn't be able to trust there commitment to do the job to a satisfactory standard. Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem might be and what the cost of parts would be if I undertake the repair myself. It has 17,000 miles on the clock and I am looking forward to putting a lot more on it.

Feel free to inundate me with replies.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin , the noise you are referring to is normal, when starting the X11, first pull the clutch in ,then start the engine and let it tickover on fast idle until warmed up..voila no noise. :D

Yes is seems to be an "X" thing all of them seem to do it. as said just pull your clutch in before you start and keep it there a few seconds while your engine warms a little and then release it slowly, if your injectors are out of balance it can be worse.

Oh and welcome to the site

yes mine is the same as chris says pull clutch in before you start it then leave it out slowly after a few secs.

Same as they all are. I was told it's due to either a. a balancer shaft taken out and/or b. an anti-knock sensor deleted (both present on the b bird).

Just warm her up befroe you set off and all is well in X11 land.

And welcome to the site!

Thanks everyone who responded, you have put my mind at rest.:D

Can't believe a company like Honda launches a bike with a built in (not very nice) noise.

Wasn't happy as I traded a perfectly good CB1300 for it.

Looking forward to giving it a proper blast.

Hope to see you all this summer on a ride out.

Cheers

Martin, If it's making the noise all the time, then you may have a problem with the clutch or gearbox.

As all the lads have said, it's perfectly normal. Mine does it all the time when cold and it's done less miles than yours.

What i do is pull the cold start out all the way and start it with the clutch in. Slowly release the clutch lever and just let it warm up for a minute.

Welcome to the club btw! ;)

Here is my opinion and experience about this noise thing.

You MAY get it quieter on cold start if, you change that clutch "crown", all the plates and adjust that balance shaft.

It MAY be then quieter. In worse case just a little bit.

I live with that, and use this "pull the clutch" method on cold starts.

Last summer made unnessesary engine rebuild far a Yamaha Midnightstar, just for noises, it was 24000km on meter and the warranty was just ending, wasnt happy about doing that, perfectly and very normally running engine....

Customer was a "pain in the ass" and offical importer wanted to solve this problem and get rid of him and his daily calls and complains.

That engine was the same after rebuild, but that guy was happy and said that it runs much quieter now :-)

There is some "thing" what you can use if you dont want to use your hand, i think it is originally used for lock the front brake when you strap your bike on trailer, it is strong rubber "tube" where is plastic "hook" attached.

You just slide it on your handlebar, pull the lever and lock it with the hook, voila, now you can use that warmup time for putting on your helmet etc.

Lockstrap.jpg

Hi Martin,

I had the same noise in mine when I bought it over a year ago(search back the previous threads), was driving me mad as had a constant bearing type noise when riding in top gear.

Changed the little bearing that rests against the clutch basket for a slight improvement at startup but was only after i changed the chain and sprocket kit to a genuine Honda set the I was totally satisfied.

Noise almost gone and am now enjoying the bike like I should be, before that I always suspected something serious was wrong and didn't enjoy riding it at all.

I only had 13k on mine and existing C and S kit looked ok but it obviously wasn't.

Good luck.

AL.

Hey Martin, you said you hope to see us on a rideout - coming to the bash? That'll be a perfect place to meet up and hang out and ride out some, too. The more the merrier.

BTW To all here, I always find all the info everyone gives a great help and am again imressed with all the support being offered.

Henri, that looks like a cool tool - I amgoing to order one. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm, just looking on the web and can't find it.

Henri, can you post a link?

James

just put in" jarrukahvan lukitsin " into google and it comes up at 12euro to buy and 30 euro shipping so if any euro friends are coming to the Bash may be worth asking them to fetch .

Hmm, just looking on the web and can't find it.

Henri, can you post a link?

You got mail :biggrin: