Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest matt25011774

going on holiday

9 posts in this topic

im going away for five weeks what shoudl i do about my bike it has a veto alarm and im no genius with mechanics so what can i do so i dotn come back to a flat battery and immobilised bike?

I 've been using one of these for a few years now. Whenever my bikes not being ridden, it's plugged in with no worries of over charging. Great bit of kit, well worth the money.

Or you could remove the battery and leave it on trickle charge. That way, the alarm won't start going off or playing tricks.:)

and what do you do with the optimate?do you just connect it to the pos and neg while the battery is in the bike?

The charger comes with two options. You can either use the crocodile clips as & when you want to charge the battery, or you can attach a permanent wire to the battery. This way you dont have to keep lifting the seat off. I use the permanently attached way & just have the connector socket tucked under the seat, which I just pull out & plug in when the bikes not being used. All instructions are in the box. It's very easy to install. You can leave it plugged in for months on end, without fear of overcharging & doing any damage.

i was thinking off one these,can anyone recomend a good one....tbh! there is a wire under the seat, did wonder if its ment for one!

Get an optimate... there's a link on my post above.

You connect them (best) with a permanent live (fuse protected) link.

See photo 1 below... this has a lead (photo 2) to connect to the charger unit (photo 3).

Simple...

There are various types of these "smart" chargers in the market, all probably do the same job, basically one that will give a trickle charge to the battery whilst the bike is inactive is what you are looking for. They have inbuilt circuit to detect when the battery is losing charge and will recharge as required. The wires under your seat possibly are for a charger, trace them and if they go directly to the battery terminals then there is a chance that is what they are. Most chargers come with a range of connectors (crock clips), what you want is an easy way to plug the thing in. They are different prices most are around ?40, some will do two bikes, i got a budget one from Aldi when they were selling them and i have found it does a great job for ?12.00.