Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lee

help on tyre choice

12 posts in this topic

Had my bike a year now and getting a bit more confident with it, and ready for new tyres. Wanting some that have got good grip for practicing leaning over a bit, up to now ive been recomended Metzeler sport-tech M1 and new M3,,, BT 014 and New O21R,,,, Pilot power And Dunlop Qualifier. Has any body tried any of these? Or know of any others.

Ive also been told that ill only get between 1500-2000 miles from these before I ware a flat spot, so I know im gonna be looking at around 3 back tyres a year

I use BT 020's (021's is new version - not widely available yet) and can't complain about them - good grip and mileage seems ok so far. Don't try 014's - I only got 1500 out of the rear on my Blade - preferred the 010's (old version of 014).

Pete

Ok then thats the bt014 out then

I managed to get 1800 out of Metz Z3's last year before they were gubbed, put on a set of Pilot roads so far so good 1500 so far and no real sign of wear.

Tyres though are a very personal choice based on type of riding you do, the Pilot roads suit me but got a mate who swears by Z6's yet I find them skittish.

The Z3's were great but damned if I want to change tyres 3-4 times a year

I tried Dunlop sportsmax no complaints replacing rear with Dunlop qualifier today I'll let you know.

I use BT020s,i am not one for trying to graft my knee to the road. My bet is that most riders would not get the benefit from a more sport based tyre on the road. Ihave found the BT020 is good in all weathers and seems to wear evenly. The bloody things cost enough as it is so to my mind there is no point in sticking a soft compound on for a warm Sunday afternoon ride, then struggling when it pisses down.

I'm still doing ths stuck record thing here with the Z6s - turn-in as sharp as a supersports tyre yet get warm quicker and ultimately deliver more grip in 90% of road conditions than supersports tyres. Basically a rip-off of Bridgestones ground breaking BT020 but with 5 years of research and development time added in. I am pretty aggressive on a dry mountain road and these match the weight and torque of the 11, and sharpen turn-in, whilst lasting 4K miles or more (i.e. double a supersport tyre). A great tyre on all surfaces and also in the wet and cold. The 021s may be Bridgestone's answer, but until they are proven and widely available, I'll stick to me Metz Z6.

thanks for all the replies :) been off line for a week or so but got some metzeller sport-tec m1`s today I read the earlier posts as well on the old site and thought sod it for the extra few quid i`ll try the metzers (and they make the bike feel better ;) ) gonna have some fun now scrubbing them in thanks again everyone for the replies :niceone2:

I have Metz roadtecs on now front & rear really like them there's more than enough grip

If it's of any use, I run Conti Sport Attacks, and I'd say they're fine on an X, I got about 4k from the rear and the front's still fine, when I change in next wk or 2 I'll goto a Road Attack on the back 'cause the "sports" bit appears somewhat uneccessary on an X...

br

D.

i used to hate dunlops at one point but they have improved dramatically recently. Dunlop D208's and qualifyers are awesome in both the wet and dry. in the summer i tend to use Dunlop 208Gp's front and rear . in the winter i use a 208 gp on rear and a standard 208 on front or 208 RR depending on how cheap i can get them........ the 208gps last about 3500 miles on rear (if u dont straight line gas them all the time and are awesome on corners) but as you can pick a set up for about ?75 off the net thats not really a problem.....

i`ve just had sum 020`s fitted and they are excellent.had macadams and dunlops b4 witch wer awfull (well i thought so) got sum pirelli diablos on me owd cbr and they are great 2